Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

"Once more with feeling"...I am still torn about putting a rear facing car seat in the center of the

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Once more with feeling"...I am still torn about putting a rear facing car seat in the center of the

back of the ar...but if not there you can't put it on the side without having them turn off BOTH sides of the rear seat air bags...I have the optional (fifth/sixth) in the side of the rear seats...I know that many of you have to be doing this, even considering the "arm rest head banging" potential...the base of the thing comes up 12inches off the deck of the seat so it would put pressure on the arm rest but I worry that it still might come down as mine does pretty easily...have to swap cars with my daughter everytime I watch my Granddaughter and need your thoughts on this...

Could you duct(duck tape the thing down??

"Anyone, anyone?"...
Old 05-24-2006, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Maybe some sort of retention strap, through the ski sack. Good luck
Old 05-24-2006, 10:34 AM
LCP
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly, when I installed our rear child seats, they were "clear" of the air bags.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:37 PM

Default If they on on the outboard seats and you have the rear seat airbags that are optional in addition to

the curtain (it would specify on the seat itself) how can you get a rear facing car seat to clear them? All rear facing car seats say that they can't be used with in the seat air bags until the seat (if it is a convertible) is forward facing. What model of car seat do you have?
Old 05-24-2006, 05:13 PM

Default Honestly, fyi...long and research-based as I know how safe you all want your kids...just to share...

My job entails extensive research and so I really couldn't help it when my daughter said that everything she read said that a rear-facing car seat should not be placed next to an airbag period...I did some research of my own...

...and I agree that it shows a rear-facing infant seat in the outboard seat of an allroad in the owner's manual, but that is a generic manual and the seat integrated air bags are optional equipment. But Audi also has off switches for the rear seat bags and that implies that there may be reasons that they would/should be turned off?

Both types of side airbags, curtain and seat mounted, are starting to be "standard" on newer model cars as well, BUT there is no research anywhere to show that infants and young children, properly restrained are not adversely impacted by these devices in the event of a side-impact crash...the only anecdotal research done by examining accidents to pediatric patients "presumes" that properly restrained these airbags will lower the severity that they see from side impact crashes (which adversely affect more children than adults due to the design of most vehicles)...even AoA on the care line had to check to see if it was ok to place children there...

Bottom line is that more than likely children and infants are safe there but I would feel much better if there were a better way to place rear-facing car seats safely in the middle of the back seat where we used to put them in the "olden days"...the safest spot in the vehicle bar none, if properly restrained.

It was interesting research and I plan to keep reviewing it as newer guidelines go into effect in the coming years that require more testing.
Here are some exerpts of the sources that I used and this is not an extensive list I just wanted to share this with all of you now please do not shoot the messenger

http://www.aap.org/family/carseatguide.htm

www.buckleupnc.org/using_airbags.cfm
Children and Side Air Bags
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and auto manufacturers have conducted crash tests that show some side impact air bags could probably injure out-of-position children. Real-world experience with children and side air bags in crashes has not yet been able to document the positive or negative effects of the side air bags.

Because of the potential danger, and since side air bag designs vary from vehicle to vehicle, NHTSA recommends that:

Vehicle manufacturers inform parents as to whether or not it is safe for children to sit next to their side air bags, and that
Vehicle manufacturers allow consumers with children who are likely to be out of position to have rear side air bags deactivated.
Child safety seat manufacturers may have their own advice about using their models in side air bad equipped positions. Read the child safety seat and vehicle manufacturers' instructions for their recommendations.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/safety/carseat/choose.htm (Canada, seems more specific than the US information)

http://www.luhs.org/depts/injprev/Transprt/tran1-09.htm
Old 05-24-2006, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have 3 kids...

I don't understand your hesitation of having the rear facing in the middle seat. For a while I had 2 forward facing car seats on the outer and the rear facing in the middle. I used the latches on the outer seats and the belt in the middle -- all snug as could be. Use a towel under the middle seat so it doesn't slide and so its correctly leveled.

I also believe the rear curtain airbags are at adult head height in the back seat and would likely have little effect on children in the rear seat. Its not as if its coming at the kid flush in the face as it would in the front. The car seats also have sides to protect the head. If the kid is in a booster they can withstand a small airbag blowing up next to them. I wouldn't have an issue with a seat on the edges with the rear airbags given that.

Just my 2 unscientific cents.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:36 PM

Default How did you keep the center armrest from coming down in the middle?...I agree I can get the seat

tightly anchored there, but for the armrest...I am speaking of the airbags IN the side of the seats not the curtain bag (your ar may not have them as they were optional, and still are on the A4 and A6 Avants) so it is not the curtain bag I am concerned about.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:37 PM
LCP
AudiWorld Expert

Default Britax Roundabout...

...when I installed it I made sure to place the seat "an extra inch" inboard so that I was sure it cleared the seam on the seat fabric where the airbag would inflate. I guess with a narrower car or one with seats closer to the doors, there would be cases where you wouldn't want those side airbags, but I had no concerns with how I placed this child seat.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:39 PM
LCP
AudiWorld Expert

Hell, I can barely pull my down when I want to it's such a snug fit.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:41 PM

Default Mine falls down it is so easy to get out:(...I think the car seat base would keep it from coming

down but the pivot for the seat is up off the deck of the seat more than I hoped...if it were flush with the seat I would have no problem as the car seat would be so firmly attached that it would keep it from coming down...

Quick Reply: "Once more with feeling"...I am still torn about putting a rear facing car seat in the center of the