Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

01 allroad vs. 02 9-5 aero wagon vs. 00 BMW 540iT wagon...

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2002, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 allroad vs. 02 9-5 aero wagon vs. 00 BMW 540iT wagon...

Hi all. I am trying hard to be a loyal audi fan, but it is difficult with my priorities. Since the 95 S6 audi has not built what I'm looking for - a fun, fast wagon, preferably with a manual tranny.

Any thoughts on this? Specifically I need something larger than an S4 wagon (fab wagon, too small for my needs), in the midsize category, for under 40k, new or used.

Here's my list:

allroad:
PROS: manual trans, awd, turbo in the mtns, its an audi (had three quattros previously).
CONS: Mushy ride (air springs), AMC eagle-esque styling, extra weight/complexity I don't need.
VERDICT: Jack of all roads, master of none...

Saab 9-5 aero wagon:
PROS: manual trans, great motor, nice space, nice handling, appealing character, NEW car w/ NEW warranty with all the bells for 40k.
CONS: front wheel drive, styling so-so, depreciation and reliability questionable (had three saabs too).
VERDICT: FWD is hard to love

BMW 540iT:
PROS: Fast, fun, excellent drivers car, best on the track of the group, sharp looks.
CONS: smallish side, bmw 'image' (turn-off to me), rwd no good in Tahoe snow, auto tranny only, nearing warranty's end for under $40k, never owned a bmw, don't know what to expect (trim peices falling off, I suppose).
VERDICT: Great car, compromised in its 'ultimate' sporting mission only by lack of manual trans.

If an A6 avant were available in 2.7tq manual guise, there would be no question.

I've driven all three cars, and the ar handling just didn't cut it for me, I was really hoping I would love it, but it was no good. I know about the sway bar and larger tires/whls, but the shocks are the real problem (needs firmer damping), and the manufacturer has not responded to my inquiries for a solution (custom valving).

Moreover, I'm not into offroad posing, which is what I'd be doing since there's no chance I'm going far enough offroad to justify the added weight, complexity and attendant handling tradeoffs. Don't get me wrong, I greatly admire the ar all the way around, but it's not quite sporting enough ON the road.
The S6 is still too pricey, so what to do?

Any thoughts, solutions, other suggestions?
Old 06-11-2002, 10:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The allroad is perfect for your NEEDS, just not your WANTS... (more)

for under $40K, you NEED a AWD wagon, manual, that has "good" but not great performance. That is the allroad. You're not posing as an offroader, if you are in Tahoe snow, that's good enough reason to own one... it's not like an SUV type wannabe image.

All of us allroaders wish it handled like an S6... but there are tradeoffs in life... I think the allroad has unique wonderful styling, a great engine (especially when modded) and is a great all around car.

I'd seriously reconsider.
Old 06-11-2002, 10:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default <long silent pause> did i miss something?

seems to me the AR was ruled out in your prospects... so why post here? ;^) i didn't know allroad forumers were suppose to be salespersons too =^)

you did alot of personal opinion making with alot of imaintheclosetbmwlover thoughts behind it... hmmm sounds like a beemer person to me... my only thought for you is to &lt;in yoda's voice&gt; use the force...
Old 06-11-2002, 10:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default So you basically said the allroad was the one you liked but then you said for sure it wasn't........

I don't know, looks like you talked yourself into a tough spot. For what it's worth; love my allroad, see another one every few days at the most, tows my motorcycles, hauls my gear, allows me to arrive in style and passes boxters and 911's at the track (yes, they are not driven very well but the the allroad holds it's own). I think it's the best car to have if you can have only one.
Old 06-12-2002, 03:14 AM

Default If I had your list and budget, I'd get a

new Passat 4-Motion wagon. No question. But I sure do love my ar better...
Old 06-12-2002, 04:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Agree tough choice

I am in a similar position. After owning 5 audis, I need something bigger. I am looking at the A6 4.2 (not as practical, nicer engine &amp; handling), the allroad (not thrilled w/ ext. looks, but driving dynamics are okay, tip lag?) and the dark horse given the number of previous audis the Saab 9-5 Aero. It is a nice car, but some people here can't acknowledge other manufacturers. I like the Aero, but just can't seem to warm up to owning it. The engine and handling are very good, the pricing is great great and its relatively low volume like the allroad. Exterior styling is good, but not great. The interior and overall platform are starting to feel dated, in my opinion. Overall, I think the allroad is a better all around car, but agree the Saab has some superior driving dynamics.
Old 06-12-2002, 05:15 AM

Default FWD vs. Quattro ???

Come on....there's no comparison! Whether your snow is in Tahoe or Vermont, there's no way I'd feel as secure in a FWD Saab as I do in my ar. The ar also blows the doors off of anything but the BMW 540.
....the press loves the new Honda Pilot :&gt LOL
Old 06-12-2002, 05:34 AM
HPH
AudiWorld Super User

Default Saab engines...

While waiting for a tire install, I looked over the new Saab 9-5 brochure. They have two 4-bangers with turbos, the top one boosting the 2.3 liters to 265 hp (as I recall). That seems like a lot of horses stuffed into a very small space -- surely that engine won't last long.

The V-6 they offer has a turbo, also -- but on only three of the cylinders. That seems just plain stupid.

And you already noted the failure of RWD in snow. By process of elimination, therefore...

HPH
Old 06-12-2002, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default we don't need to acknowledge other manufacturers. ..

this is an audi forum, not a Iambiastoallvehiclesperformance forum... some people just can't understand this... I've seen 4 saabs in snowy ditches... that should tell ya something... I still never understood why for a european car NOT to have AWD or something... but then again they got overran by ford too so.....maybe they will put one of there great ford engines with 4WD in a saab wahooooooooo =^|
Old 06-12-2002, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default You can get a new Volvo Cross Country for under $40K...

Has AWD and the same cargo as AR but not as much complexity.
I don't think they are as cool as the AR but much better than a FWD Saab and RWD BMW wagon for practicality and all around use. Plus, you'll get the benefit of a new warranty.

Quick Reply: 01 allroad vs. 02 9-5 aero wagon vs. 00 BMW 540iT wagon...