Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

'01 lease up real soon, what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2004, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '01 lease up real soon, what to do?

Can't decide whether to keep it or do something else. There are a number of options.

1 - Buy the allroad for $25K (only 35K miles) and keep my '94 Jeep Grand Cherokee (only 84K miles, no payments). The allroad is great to drive, love the car, but concerns are stated below.

2 - Buy the allroad, becomes my car (was wife's), she gets a hybrid vehicle so she can use the HOV lanes to commute to work. We really only need one nice car and the commuting time savings would be nice.

3 - Turn in the allroad and get something else, my brother drove a Subaru Outback with the 250 HP V6 recently and said it was really nice, it's also a lot less expensive than an allroad.

My concerns with buying the allroad are the potential maintenance costs and the possibility of getting a good extended warranty. AutoWarrantyBrokers.com is about $2k, from other posts I read here they may be the best option. Any opinions on them?

Anyone else here driven the Outback with the 3.0 litre V6?

Any other suggestions? Any advice is welcome.

Jim
Old 10-30-2004, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default In the same predicament -

I will most likely get another Allroad, but today i looked at a Touareg. I liked it but it's still a truck and i love having the handling of a car.

VW seems to be offering a $0 down lease deal, but it's 45 months, which means you are basically paying for what you would have put down.

My Audi Salesman said he has what i want in stock -- i most likely will be in a 2005 AR in about 2 weeks.

Good luck with your decision -- I think you will be happier with the Audi in the long run.
Old 10-30-2004, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Are you in California??? Has Arnold allowed hybrids in the HOV lanes already???

I say do this...

1. leave allroad
2. buy/lease Land Rover LR3
3. buy/lease wife a hybrid/AFV

or, in response to your question...
the new Outback is a pretty good deal overall, much improved power, decent interior, and quite utilitarian...although you likely won't have the pride in it that you may well with your allroad...but it's fairly cheap. I, personally, have sworn off Subaru after they farged me over on an engine repair on my wife's old Outback (1996) and farged my parents over after 2 sudden acceleration events nearly causing accidents were ignored by Subaru despite the increasing evidence that Outbacks and Foresters of the late 90's have this problem...but everyone has a story of doom associated with this or that car company...

LR3 is the nuts! Mine arrives in 2 months!
Old 10-30-2004, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If your only at 35K I say buy it, it woud seem that if that's all the milage

you have put on it since new and avg the same for the next four year your golden. I'm at 70k on my 02, going on two years ownership with nothing major, and nothing (even the new subi) can match it. Spoiled.
Old 10-31-2004, 01:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Same dilemma a few months ago. I bought mine...

Reasons: Low mileage - just over 30K. I know the car's history and it has only had a couple of very minor problems. Newer models don't really have any features that I want which are not already on my '01. Sounds silly, but I didn't really want to part with wooden shifter ****, heated steering wheel and steering wheel tip shifter buttons.

I told the Audi salesman that I would consider a 4.2 for similar to what I was paying monthly for my '01 2.7T. Otherwise I was keeping the car - I kept the car, but we got an A4 for my wife to replace the Passat.

I have never kept a car at lease end, nor when I have purchased have I kept a car for more than 3 years. For me this is a first and I still love this car.
Old 10-31-2004, 04:27 AM

Default Virginia

Virginia allows the Toyota Prius, Honda Civic, and Honda Insight in the HOV lanes. Not sure if they'll allow the Ford Escape or new Honda Accord Hybrid. My wife commutes to Roslyn, just over the River from DC. The major highway in from our area is I-66 and it's HOV only (all lanes) from Falls Church to DC.

Jim