Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

02, 04, 05 allroad wagon

Old 11-26-2018, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02, 04, 05 allroad wagon

I need 2 cars and I've got a $5k per car budget. One has to be a jeep for the beach. the other was going to be something AWD because NY winters are so amazing to drive in. I think a wagon is the move and Audi wasn't on my radar but recently I've seen the owner reviews about these allroads and they sound too good to be true, what's the reality. Can I get one off these years (02, 04, 05) and baby it with maintenance and love and get another 100K miles? Can a shade-tree mechanic work on these machines effectively and if not what does one pay per hour at a german mechanic these days? Hopefully one of these wagons is a possibility, they are beautiful and I'd love to experience the ownership that the stellar reviews alluded to. Thanks so much.
Old 11-27-2018, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

If they are past the 90-10k mileage make sure the timing belt was replaced. With one special tool (cam sprocket alignment) you can DIY and the tool is not terribly expensive but the entire kit is more than a few $. Also front control arm ball joints (especially the uppers) will wear out after 100+k depending on driving conditions. The air suspension can be problematic which should be evident if you scroll through the posts. If the springs and pump are original you will most likely end up replacing some or all or going coil over (See Arnott for pricing). Having just converted back to air I like the ride as the coil overs could be harsh on bad pavement. Highly recommend investing in VAGCOM from Rosstech to communicate with all controllers and the applicable Bentley manual. ETKA is nice but typically you can find parts diagrams on vendor websites such as Jim Ellis. Won't plug a particular parts vendor (although there are a few I tend to use more frequently) -suggest getting the PN you need and googling for it. Also replace the coolant (even though it is supposedly lifetime) and the hydraulic oil (pentosin CHF 11s or equivalent) which will take probably 3-4 drains/pump outs and resevoir refills to get clean if it has never been done. The vacuum lines in my '03 were crap, seems like by '04 they had been upgraded. Most likely the exhaust will have seen better days and beware frozen rear brake calipers or e-brake in-operable. A Stainless turbo back exhaust is ~ $2K but the OE exhaust can be kept functional by a decent shop for a lot less.
No experience with the V8 or tiptronic, just the 2.7T 6M for '03 and '04.
Old 11-28-2018, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you so much, you were the exact reply I was hoping for.
Old 11-29-2018, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Allroads

I'm a fairly new Allroad owner. I got mine at 133k. It had the timing belt done at 71k so was due again. I found a ASE certified mobile mechanic who did the complete top engine service for $400. The kit was $450 from ECS which included timing belt, accessory belt, cam tensioner, gaskets and seals. I bought the cam lock tool for $50. I also did the valve cover gaskets. Felpro has a set that is considerably more supple than oem. The kit also includes a bottle of G12 coolant and the water pump.
I sought a car that appeared to have many of the bugs sorted and as I read threads I am glad I did. The previous owner had the left CV axle and air bag replaced. I put on General rt43 altimax all season V-rated tires and they have been great through 20k miles and are wearing well. I had the left front control arms done for about 700 including labor. There is a change in these parts after a certain point in the 04 manufacturing year so if you get a 05 make sure you get the right ones if you have to do that job. Some sellers claim that 01-05 are the same. They are not if its built later in 04 or 05. I bought the front lower three times before getting the right one. The front camber cannot be adjusted without shifting the subframe so if it needs aligned don't be duped by chain stores. I suggest a dealer or experienced European shop. Getting familiar with the owners manual is important particularly regarding warning lights.
If you get the 2.7t don't be alarmed if you smell oil. Apparently leaking comes with the territory probably due to oil pressure. Replacing the valve cover gaskets helped significantly. It also helps to only occasionally mash the gas although you may find that difficult. If you DIY the VAGCOM is a must. Common diagnostic devices are pretty useless.
I love this car. The air suspension makes for a fantastic ride in a great handling car.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you too, I'm very grateful for the in depth reply, could not ask for better responses, much appreciated.