Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

02 Allroad front brake pad job...

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 06:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Allroad front brake pad job...

Hey guys,
I have researched on how to change the front pads, but allt the links I seem to find are for the A4. Anyways, do I need any special tools to do the fronts? I see there is a hex key needed for the front. What size exactly do I need? Are there wear bars on the pads? My icon came on the other day. I'm just wondering if I have a little time. I hear no squeaking or grinding. I'm looking to do NAPA pads. Any recommendations? Prices would be appreciated too. Thanks guys.

Mike
Old 10-05-2009, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

changing pads in the front of an Allroad is probably the easiest brake job I have ever had, once the car is up & the wheel is off all you need is plyers & a flathead screw driver. The only write up I found was for a B5 S4 since they are the exact same brakes we have.

here's a step by step with pics: http://www.s4girl.com/Gallery/StockPadHowTo
Old 10-07-2009, 05:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Do the stock pads have wear bars? I'm looking to do the change in a week, so I'm just buying some time. I don't hear squeaking or grinding...
Old 10-07-2009, 05:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

oh yeah, I decided to go OEM for pads.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Don't do OEM pads, they really really suck. OEM pads are the source of rotor warp like symptoms due to excessive dusting that settles on rotors.

Go for Akebono ceramics or other comparable pads. I am sure you will find lots of recommendations on this site if you search.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Hawk HPS pads and Zimmerman rotors are good choices as well.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

How difficult is it to short the pad sensor? Is it simply taking a short piece of wire and connecting the 2 pins with it and taping it up? I may do the Hawk HPS. Are there wear bars on the Hawks since the sensor will be bypassed? Are there wear bars on the stocks? Who has the best pricing for the Hawks? Thanks for the help guys.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I did the following in my old 98 A6 Avant. Once I removed the pads, I hammered the left over pad compound until it cracked upon when the sensor part just separated and then I tied the dangling part (past the holding bracket) of wire with ZIP tie around the wire itself.

Worked like a charm.

I don't think you can just short the wire (I might be wrong though) as I believe there must be some defined resistance (not zero ohms a shorted wire would provide) on the wire.

Also, I bought Akebonos ceramics and can be more pleased with the pads. Excellent stopping/fading and seriously NO DUST - plus they have pad sensors.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just called my local dealer to see if my fronts are the 2 pad or 4 pad set up. He told me a had a 2 piston set up. I'm assuming I need the 4 pad set. Does this sound right? He said he couldn't tell by the diagram in front of him if it was a 2 or 4 pad set up. Can someone give me more info on how to "short" the pad sensor? I may do the Hawks. I can't believe they want $190 for OEM pads!
Old 10-07-2009, 12:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just found out it's a 2 pad set up. How close is the install to the link provided above(4 pads)?

Quick Reply: 02 Allroad front brake pad job...