Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

03 Allroad Remove or Disable Air Suspension?

Old 10-18-2011, 09:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Allroad Remove or Disable Air Suspension?

Just got my 03 AllRoad from $$$ repairs (Timing Belt, Exhaust Sensors, Upper Control links, tires etc). Came home with CEL Evap leak and a left front airbag leak. I plan to keep the car and I am wondering has anyone disabled or removed the air suspension? I am looking into the Arnott Gen I replacement for left and right front, but any solutions if I want to disable or remove it?
Old 10-18-2011, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to keep it a Allroad then just replace the bad bag with a Arnott Gen I. No need to replace other if not leaking. Cheap if you are a DIY person at only $300.

Arnott also sells a coilover conversion kit, but you will be taking away what makes a Allroad a Allroad. You will basically have a A6 Avante then. Here is a link to the conversion: https://www.audiworld.com/tech/wheel.html

The EVAP leak might just be as simple as a bad gas cap.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Think about this...deleting the air suspension is more costly than just fixing a bad bag or two and/or replacing the air compressor. Those items usually are the only problems. The shocks themselves are pretty long lived IMO.

It all works quite well when repaired properly....and usually lasts a good amount of time. I'm at 177k miles now and have only replaced the air bags once (I still have 1 original actually)and the air compressor twice. The second compressor was my bad, I blew out the first replacement; not realizing one rear bag was bad. I've replaced all the shocks at about 150K miles. And as said, these items are not too hard to DIY... especially witht he DIY instructions you can find here. And with the lifetime warranty on Arnott bags...it makes good sense to keep it original. Just my 2 cents and almost 8 years of allroad ownership.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Anyone with an arnott replacement compressor notice it run more than the factory Pump. Both are wabco pumps. Replaced the front bags with gen II from arnott. Rear bags are sound.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Repairs

Can someone put up a link on the How To on the air compressor and air strut repair? Also - I've been lurking here and have made a determination (through reading these as well as from a couple of friends who have had Allroads) that the left front seems particularly problematic when it comes to leaking - mine too.. Any reason why that is?

Also - I had heard that the suspension is supposed to return to the higher levels after lowering for speed allowances - mine seems to lower fine at higher speeds but does not return. Did I understand this incorrectly? I suppose I should read my manual!

Thanks
Tom
Old 10-19-2011, 09:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Try here:

http://allroadfaq.com/main/index.php...layout=default

http://forums.quattroworld.com/allroad/msgs/34738.phtml

All the good info you need can found above and don't forget the 10% coupon code 74V4-W7D by Arnott
Old 10-20-2011, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Sweet...
Old 10-21-2011, 03:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ADRIFT
Anyone with an arnott replacement compressor notice it run more than the factory Pump. Both are wabco pumps. Replaced the front bags with gen II from arnott. Rear bags are sound.
I got a 'Continental' pump from Arnott a few years ago...
Old 10-21-2011, 03:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by gribbleman
Also - I had heard that the suspension is supposed to return to the higher levels after lowering for speed allowances - mine seems to lower fine at higher speeds but does not return. Did I understand this incorrectly? I suppose I should read my manual!

Thanks
Tom
Right, it should go back to level 2 after highway speed.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'd argue the alternative - remove that air stuff and replace with springs.

I run 100% stock OEM 2003 C5 A6 sport suspension on my allroad. It was basically a direct drop-in replacement. It's nice and low and no more b.s. with the air components not working. This whole setup cost me $150.

The alternative, of course, is aftermarket coilovers like ST, KW, etc. Personally, I would stay away from Arnott, 2bennett, and everyone offering "custom designed direct drop in" b.s. ... they are plain and simple ripping you off and telling you bold-faced lies about their setups. If you wanted to, you could make the same thing with bilstein shocks and ebay springs for half the money. Except with the kits, you will have no height adjustability.

My two cents.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 03 Allroad Remove or Disable Air Suspension?