Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

04 allroad Wet Floor - ESP Module Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 04 allroad Wet Floor - ESP Module Question

Came out to the allroad to find the dreaded soaked floor after several days of rain and two plugged drains under the battery. Drying out the car now but have ESP, ABS and flashing brake lights lit on the dash. Fortunately I only have the ESP module to be concerned with as I have a 6 speed manual trans and don't have a TCM module to worry about. So I figure my ESP module is fried and need to replace it.

A few questions:
1. How unwise it to drive the car this way until I receive the new ESP module and install it?
2. If I unplug it to dry the contacts will it affect starting the car or create any other issues?
3. Will I need to code the new module or do any kind of reset, or is it plug and play?

Thanks for any help you can give with this.

Last edited by SixStick; 09-29-2018 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Added one more question
Old 10-02-2018, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, I really dodged a bullet! Fortunately I was able to dry up the flood on the floor and get the car running with no dash warning lights lit.

I spent most of Saturday drying out the car. I vacuumed 3" of water out of the front and back passenger side with a wet-vac. Then pulled up the carpet up, squeezed out as much water from the foam backing as I could, and placed two hair dryers front and back, underneath the carpet for several hours. During that time I pulled the ESP module from its mount, but kept it plugged in, and shook a bit of water out of it. I sprayed it with WD-40 (displaces water) into every crevice and into the connections, and then hit it with the hair dryer for about 15 minutes. I hit it once more with WD-40 and remounted it. I tried starting the car and thankfully all was good again. Once the carpet and foam backing felt dry, I put it all back together.

The ESP is mounted to the firewall and is covered with a clear sheet of plastic. I guess Audi knew this area could potentially get wet from the overflow of water from the clogged battery train drains. So why not mount the module someplace else on higher and dryer ground??? Also, I pulled the two rubber drains out from under the battery tray and cut them way back so ends were now wide open and have less chance of clogging.The whole set up is a really bad design. I think everyone with an Audi should be checking their drains every 6 months, especially if they park their car outside.
Old 10-07-2018, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the seal under the cabin air filter box. Mine was rotted and it cost me a ESP module.