Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

13" in Westchester NY and the wiper blades still suck. I was 5 minutes

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 06:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 13" in Westchester NY and the wiper blades still suck. I was 5 minutes

out of my house to pick up the wife at the station when the blades up and froze, in the middle, where the blade meets the armature. A big ball of snow and ice. So much for trips in falling snow. Even the area on the windshield (to the left) where snow is dumped had a good inch to 2 inches of snow making it tough to see. With defroster on high (don't mention the noise factor), the windshield should be totally clear.This was not the case last night and I was not a happy camper. Bad design Audi. How about some winter blades, man?
Old 01-28-2004, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I went at 6am from Nassau County

To Elizabeth (Newark Airport) Not 1 wiper complaint. Winshshield is always clear...

I do aggree that they should clean up to the outer edge of the windshield, but that is a simple adjustment, take the nut off the arm on the driver's side pull off the arm, move it up on or two clicks and re-attach.
Old 01-28-2004, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I haven't had that problem in the few months I've owned it. Driven many times in snow storms.
Old 01-28-2004, 07:22 AM

Default I agree with roxreps - new wipers are terrible

If you are caught in any type of accumulating snow they ice up immediately at the point where the arm and the blade connect.

At least on my '01 I could put on the winter blades and fear no storm.
Old 01-28-2004, 07:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No snow this morning in Chicago, and wipers still froze up trying to wash the windshield...

and before I get hit with comments about washer fluid, my reservoir is filled with Rain-X low temp solvent good for -25F. The solvent didnt freeze on the windshield, but the wipers were frozen and left half the solvent (in front of driver's face) un-wiped. Had to get out and bend and twist the wipers to get them to move enough to actually wipe something.
Old 01-28-2004, 08:54 AM

I'll try that, thanks...
Old 01-28-2004, 09:09 AM

Default Agreed. I''m also using Rain X low temp. The ar is terrific getting through everything. I think I

saw a total of maybe 4 vehicle on the road at about 10:30 pm (2 jeeps, and a truck w/plow, oh yeah, a nissan sentra going 3 mph and probably scared out of his wits). One funny note. I came to a light and to my left was an M3 covered in snow. This is a fairly long light and I could see the BMW occupants staring longingly at the ar. Well, the light changed and I charged, really charged (with much authority) up this legitimate ice/snow covered hill. I gazed into my rear view and the M3 was still sitting at the bottom. Alot of good 365 horses will to you without any legit traction. The ar was in it's glory. I agree with the others who have made this observation; the allroad loves the snow. Wipers suck but it loves the weather. Reminds me of a black lab mix I had many years ago...loved the snow.
Old 01-28-2004, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I agree as well....they suck.

Moto-One prescribes a ski-boot silicone on the bottom side of the wiper to keep from freezing.

Haven't tried that yet.
Old 01-28-2004, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Miss my Land Rover

I am amazed at how poorly Audi handles winter visibility. The entire design of the glass, wipers and defrost simply leads to ice build-up.

My Land Rover DiscoII had heated element in the front glass...it was such a joy to never worry about ice, snow or fog.
Old 01-28-2004, 10:41 AM

Hey, it's an allroad not an 'all-weather'

Quick Reply: 13" in Westchester NY and the wiper blades still suck. I was 5 minutes