Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

2001 vs 2002 looong

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2001, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 vs 2002 looong

OK I'm mostly moved into my new house and my cable connection is on for the time being. Now onto the comparo.

First little on the outside save for the different licsence surround and different thread size for antenae. My preference, solid black surround

Ride height control now functions as whatever ride heigtht you park at,execpt pos 4, becomes your new default height, automatically lowers and raises to the presets. Going up is slower in 2002 than 2001. My preference, it's a wash, in actual use it appears no different from when I would use it in manual mode. :|

Price, vehicles are $2000 cheaper this year than last year. Thank you very much for gouging me first time around, Audi. My preference, new pricing last year :{

Tip VS Stick Final gearing is shorter on stick, no suprise, however spread between first and second is to much, very hard to get used to. Shifting is very jerky unless you wring it out to about 38-4200 before shifting , all other shifts are like glass. Stick is faster, dramaticly so. Stock, this car is faster than my chipped Tip. My preference stick all the way.

Ride quality is better on 2002 but handling is not as good. With both vehicles pos 2 gives better handling than 1 but for general use 3 is best for potholes, firmer suspension and more wheel travel. My preference 2001 for handling.

Interior, except for trim changes no discernable change. Rearview mirror is cool but gimmicky. Also change in color for autodimmer. Was a very blue HID like tint, now more like deep sea blue-green. My prefernce, old blue, no compass with new m.y. trim. :|

Quality. Well no major problems with either. However seats, doors, and hatch as well as something else I can't identify, all rattle or squeeck on 2002, most anoying is the seat which squeecks and groans on every shift and throttle change. 2001 even after jumping a six inch curb was noiseless. 2002 misfires noticeably until warmed up. :[

Windsheild washers hit the window instead of the wiper arms, now that the arms have been redesigned. New arms are flimsy and take a blade assembly I have never seen before, probably why it comes with a spare set. My preference 2001 wiper arms with redesigned washer nozzles. :|

Bose radio is much superior to Symphony radio, not $750 worth but much better. 6 CD changer in dash is cool and with changer in trunk you now have 12 on tap. Dash changer is slow and noisy. My preference, Bose. I now have Symphony

More later.
Old 12-02-2001, 03:12 PM

Re: Just to clarify: Are you saying feel and operation of 2002 Stick is different from 2001 Stick?
Old 12-02-2001, 03:22 PM

Default Re: Just to clarify: Are you saying feel and operation of 2002 Stick is different from 2001 Stick?

Nope just poor ratio choice between 1 and 2
Old 12-02-2001, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Just to clarify...Bose and Symphony are not mutually exclusive...

Bose is a modification...the Symphony radio is the head unit...as opposed to say the "Concert" radio. Symphony head units have been the only ones available in U.S. A6s and allroads for the last couple years. The Bose is just the Bose amplifier and different speakers. The head units are the same in both.

Regarding price...yes, it is cheaper as a base price, but is decontented...equivalent content equals essentially equivalent price.
Old 12-03-2001, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: 2001 vs 2002 looong

as to seat sqweeks: my 2001 sqweeked for about 3 months then went away, Someone mentioned that a shot of wd40 on a bushing under the seat fixed thiers. (might troll through the forum looking for sqweeks, don't recall exactly what it was.)

I wasn't aware you could put a changer in the rear in addition to the changer in the dash. that'd be cool... also found it interesting that I put a replacement Panasonic changer in my wife's subaru recently. the changer carrier was an exact match (matter of fact I had pulled mine out of the allroad after it was wrecked) and she is using it as a spare. I'm left wondering who actually builds the changer unit.

fj..