Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

2002 allroad quattro . extended wheel bolts

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 allroad quattro . extended wheel bolts

today in the mail i got my tsw nuremburgring rims. i installed all 4 wheels/spacers. the studs i used were 47 mm. after installing all 4 wheels/tires, i took it for a spin to check for rubbing. but as i put it in reverse to back out, it wouldn't budge. something was binding. we did some searching and came to the conclusion that the studs were too long and binding up ( on the brake rotor?). So there i was. i had to be to work 10 mins ago and now i had to switch out the rims. im going to be cutting-grinding about 3mm off of each of the studs (x20). i will get back to you on how that works. i got the studs with the wheel spacers from ecstuning. i was told they would work from there sales rep. idk if the rims werent as thick as others or what. just be prepared, you might have to do some modification if you plan to run spacers.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Wheel bolts are cheap, and cutting them down is super janky. Why not just buy whatever length you need?
Old 05-17-2013, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Ok, first you don't have studs but bolts. Bolts have to be of exact length to work properly with a wheel and spacer. Since rim hub thickness may vary between manufacturers (only audi rims are of guaranteed thickness so that whatever bolt length sticks out on the other side is exactly the same between different audi rim models), you might get variations like you experienced.

Seeing that you have 47mm bolts, your spacers should be 10mm since stock bolt length is 37mm.

Simplest solution is to get a angle grinder with grinding disc and chop 2-3mm off and they will fit perfect.

Better solution, which will allow you to run any spacer up to about 20mm is to get stud conversion kit which will install semi-permanent studs in your hubs and you'll be fastening with nuts.

Stud conversion makes wheel taking off super easy which is a really frustrating activity with bolts and spacers.

Last edited by thejulex; 05-17-2013 at 05:36 AM.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like thejulex said, grinding off a few mms will work fine in short time.

But, for real, if ECS sold them to you and said they'd fit...you have a legit beef with them and are entitled to new, correct stuff from them IMO.

Try these guys out...next time, for lugs.

http://otisincla.com/
Old 05-17-2013, 10:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just put studs on.
Wheel bolts are cool and all, but unless you plan on running adapters to put on different bolt pattern wheels there's no point.
Just get wheel studs.

http://www.034motorsport.com/chassis...5-p-18227.html
Old 05-20-2013, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jesusgatos
Wheel bolts are cheap, and cutting them down is super janky. Why not just buy whatever length you need?
well, my lack of patience wouldn't let me sleep until my wheels were on. and I like to think that I can make anything work with my amazing fab skills lol. I don't feel that grinding a couple of mm off the end would make them any less structurally sound.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 09mehashaw
Just put studs on.
Wheel bolts are cool and all, but unless you plan on running adapters to put on different bolt pattern wheels there's no point.
Just get wheel studs.

http://www.034motorsport.com/chassis...5-p-18227.html
that might be something I will look into. I guess the main reason for not switching was that they were factory bolts. so I feel better using bolts
Old 05-20-2013, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by allroad'n
that might be something I will look into. I guess the main reason for not switching was that they were factory bolts. so I feel better using bolts
Studs are scientifically better choice in high torque applications so I am not sure why factory bolts are making you feel better. The only reason why most manufacturers are using bolts is because you can make a nice chrome head on a bolt (not on nut+stud) and somebody overtorquing the hell out of bolt and snapping it in half doesn't face a prospect of pulling a hub out to redo factory pressed studs. It is also cheaper to make one piece bolt than a stud and a nut.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by thejulex
Studs are scientifically better choice in high torque applications so I am not sure why factory bolts are making you feel better. The only reason why most manufacturers are using bolts is because you can make a nice chrome head on a bolt (not on nut+stud) and somebody overtorquing the hell out of bolt and snapping it in half doesn't face a prospect of pulling a hub out to redo factory pressed studs. It is also cheaper to make one piece bolt than a stud and a nut.
damn you audi. it looks like I might be changing them out sometime
Old 05-20-2013, 12:50 PM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Pleas don't grind them down! If you do that we cannot refund you/send you replacements!

PM sent!

Jason

Quick Reply: 2002 allroad quattro . extended wheel bolts