Go Back  AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi allroad
Reload this Page >

2003 AR 132k~ coolant leak

Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

2003 AR 132k~ coolant leak

 
Old 03-07-2012, 04:39 PM
  #1  
Audiworld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 12
Default 2003 AR 132k~ coolant leak

2003 AR 132K miles 6 - Speed - no other known problems besides listed below.

So as I was heading back to my barracks tonight my car popped the coolant warning up and I quickly pulled off to the nearest parking lot and saw the coolant temp was all the way up hitting the H. I shut the car off and popped the hood and started checking it out. The front of my engine is soaked in coolant and it's pooled in the engine under panels.

My question is what might be the cause of the leak here, water pump?
Cameron_NH is offline  
Old 03-07-2012, 08:43 PM
  #2  
AudiWorld Member
 
09mehashaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Greensburg, PA
Posts: 515
Default

Could be a ton of different things.
Pull off the belly pan and check it out.
Your radiator might be jacked, your coolant over flow tank might be cracked a t-fitting could be ruined, the afterpump could have crapped out...
09mehashaw is offline  
Old 03-09-2012, 12:50 PM
  #3  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 441
Default

Massive water pump leak is unlikely. They usually leak slowly around the shaft and the bearing self-desctructs. A few possibilities:

1) Thermostat housing crack/leak. Not uncommon.

2) Aux coolant pump (under the intake mani). Also pretty common.

3) Plastic T-fitting right off of the coolant reservoir. Common.

4) Coolant reservoir itself. Less common.

5) Radiator or hose connection leak. Pretty rare, but a possibility.

6) Head gasket failure. Pray this isn't the case.


Originally Posted by Cameron_NH View Post
2003 AR 132K miles 6 - Speed - no other known problems besides listed below.

So as I was heading back to my barracks tonight my car popped the coolant warning up and I quickly pulled off to the nearest parking lot and saw the coolant temp was all the way up hitting the H. I shut the car off and popped the hood and started checking it out. The front of my engine is soaked in coolant and it's pooled in the engine under panels.

My question is what might be the cause of the leak here, water pump?
Teutonix is offline  
Old 03-09-2012, 04:37 PM
  #4  
Audiworld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 12
Default

So I was pretty busy today and didn't get to post back sooner today. I did try finding the leak on my own and it looked to be coming from the T-fitting but not a 100% sure. I got the AR towed to a local shop near me to be checked out since I don't have the time or space to be pulling my front end apart to truly find the problem. They called me today and informed me my water pump housing had cracked open. It sucks not having a place to work on my own car any more cause I feel like I'm being taken to town on the work I'm paying for :|
Cameron_NH is offline  
Old 03-09-2012, 04:52 PM
  #5  
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
ezveedub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 809
Default

Originally Posted by Cameron_NH View Post
So I was pretty busy today and didn't get to post back sooner today. I did try finding the leak on my own and it looked to be coming from the T-fitting but not a 100% sure. I got the AR towed to a local shop near me to be checked out since I don't have the time or space to be pulling my front end apart to truly find the problem. They called me today and informed me my water pump housing had cracked open. It sucks not having a place to work on my own car any more cause I feel like I'm being taken to town on the work I'm paying for :|
I wonder if it was the electric after-run water pump that leaked. Never seen the actual water pump housing in the block crack open, which is practically impossible for a metal pump to due.

Last edited by ezveedub; 03-13-2012 at 04:31 PM.
ezveedub is offline  
Old 03-09-2012, 05:14 PM
  #6  
Audiworld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 12
Default

Originally Posted by ezveedub View Post
I wonder if it was the electric after-run water pump that leaked. Never seen the actual water pump is the block crack open, which is practically impossible for a metal pump to due.
I didn't see it myself yet since I am without a car to go look at it myself. All I know is that they told me it was leaking from the water pump and that it looked like the timing belt and water pump looked like they had never been changed at 75K miles
Cameron_NH is offline  
Old 03-09-2012, 05:53 PM
  #7  
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
ezveedub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 809
Default

Originally Posted by Cameron_NH View Post
I didn't see it myself yet since I am without a car to go look at it myself. All I know is that they told me it was leaking from the water pump and that it looked like the timing belt and water pump looked like they had never been changed at 75K miles
Well, if you do change them, I recommend the factory water pump. I would replace all the rollers and tensioner parts as well if they've never been changed with 132K miles. The aftermarket water pumps can be iffy and sucks to do twice if it leaks in a short time after installation.
ezveedub is offline  
Old 03-13-2012, 09:14 AM
  #8  
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
all(over)road's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Manchester, CT
Posts: 689
Default

It's hard to beleive that your car's belt wasn't replaced at one time and it's still intact at 130K+.

My housing had cracked too...and it did it not long AFTER I did the belt for the 2nd time at 160K. I was pretty pissed. The part is cheap enough...it's the labor that hurts to get to it. Sheesh.
all(over)road is offline  
Old 03-13-2012, 12:57 PM
  #9  
Audiworld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 12
Default

Originally Posted by all(over)road View Post
It's hard to beleive that your car's belt wasn't replaced at one time and it's still intact at 130K+.

My housing had cracked too...and it did it not long AFTER I did the belt for the 2nd time at 160K. I was pretty pissed. The part is cheap enough...it's the labor that hurts to get to it. Sheesh.
I guess I feel better knowing this isn't the only case of the housing cracking and yeah labor costs are insane. They're charging me for 9 hours of labor.
Cameron_NH is offline  
Old 03-14-2012, 11:55 AM
  #10  
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
all(over)road's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Manchester, CT
Posts: 689
Default

Yeah, unfortunately 9hrs sounds right; that is book time....my guy did it in about 3-4 hours (paid him for 6 I think)

It's like doing a t-belt in that the front end needs to come off. Big PITA labor thang getting to it...as you know. Good luck !! Make sure they use a genuine Audi part.
all(over)road is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2003 AR 132k~ coolant leak


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: