Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

2005 4.2 front air leak?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 4.2 front air leak?

Hi to everyone,
I replaced the front airbags about two months ago and everything looked fine until about a week or so ago. When parked for a few days the front gets a bit lower, it's not all the way down the way it was with the old bags, but lower compared to the time of parking the car. It's equal on both sides and it's on level 2. The parking appears relatively leveled so I am not sure if the new bags are leaking a bit or what's going on. When I start the car the compressor kicks in just for a few seconds to inflate the front. Before I start further testing I wanted to get some thoughts about it from some more experienced people.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody alive anymore on these forums? Or is everyone out driving their Allroad, since its running ****, or out hard working to support their Allroad repair spending habits?

Do a soap and water spray test, at different levels, (level 1, level 2, level 3) spray the bag and check for leaks/bubbles coming from the bags, check for cracks at the fold of the bag at all levels, and at the clamp that
holds the rubber bag to the top mount. If that shows no signs, check air line fittings, with soap spray test, if that fails, you could have leaky o-rings in the bag, where the air spring slips over the gas shock, if that fails,
check the air suspension control block/valves with soapy water spray test, and if that fails, you may have to replace the valve block even if it shows no sign of leak, because the leak might not be easy to spot.

Shout out (LOL) to BagPipingAndy for all his help and contributions to diagnosing air spring, and air suspension system problems.