Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

2013 allroad steering issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem Solved

I dropped my 2013 A4 off at Ira Audi in Danvers MA on Thursday, 12/20. They called me Friday & said they were replacing the steering rack.

I picked up the car yesterday - the fix worked! The steering is now normal. No notchiness or sticking.

This is a $40k+ car. Demand that your dealer get a new steering rack. The car is unsafe to drive if you have a defective rack! Go to another dealer if they won't help - and call the NTSB. In fact, if your dealer won't help & AOA won't help, tell them both you have gone to the NTSB.

Good luck!
Old 12-25-2012, 04:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default A6 steering issues

Originally Posted by TREGinginCO
Hi Folks,

As some of you new AR owners know... I experienced/am experiencing a steering issue. Some of you are as well. Apparently it's also an issue with 2013 A5/S5 models as well

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...ering-problems

I've also sent off an email to a person I know in the big office at Audi of America to see if this is a known issue around the office and if so... is there anything being done to find a fix.

Fingers crossed!!!

Add my 2013 A6 to the list. 1700 miles.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by larrycowan
I dropped my 2013 A4 off at Ira Audi in Danvers MA on Thursday, 12/20. They called me Friday & said they were replacing the steering rack.

I picked up the car yesterday - the fix worked! The steering is now normal. No notchiness or sticking.

This is a $40k+ car. Demand that your dealer get a new steering rack. The car is unsafe to drive if you have a defective rack! Go to another dealer if they won't help - and call the NTSB. In fact, if your dealer won't help & AOA won't help, tell them both you have gone to the NTSB.

Good luck!

Great News!!!
Old 12-27-2012, 05:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Me too!

Wow, I thought I was crazy! First time I really noticed it was in the middle of a long trip. I was just leaving St George, UT, heading back to LA. On the highway and started feeling like something in the steering was "off". Got freaky enough that I pulled off the freeway and made sure a front wheel wasn't loose or something. Ended up driving back with my nerves on edge the whole way. I have experienced the problem in weather from 40ºF to 70ºF and speeds from 20-85mph. Easiest to demonstrate to others in the high-40 mph's.

Almost time for my first service appointment - looking forward to hearing what my advisor comes up with. He's a straight shooter, so I don't think he'll say everything's fine...

BTW, this is my fourth Audi (Allroad 4.2, A3 3.2, A3 TDI, and now 2013 Allroad), so I am both a loyal customer and know what the steering should feel like.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mk42
Wow, I thought I was crazy! First time I really noticed it was in the middle of a long trip. I was just leaving St George, UT, heading back to LA. On the highway and started feeling like something in the steering was "off". Got freaky enough that I pulled off the freeway and made sure a front wheel wasn't loose or something. Ended up driving back with my nerves on edge the whole way. I have experienced the problem in weather from 40ºF to 70ºF and speeds from 20-85mph. Easiest to demonstrate to others in the high-40 mph's.

Almost time for my first service appointment - looking forward to hearing what my advisor comes up with. He's a straight shooter, so I don't think he'll say everything's fine...

BTW, this is my fourth Audi (Allroad 4.2, A3 3.2, A3 TDI, and now 2013 Allroad), so I am both a loyal customer and know what the steering should feel like.

Exactly. We're all feeling/experiencing the same thing. Let us know how your dealer handles things and if they swap out the rack. I'm going to call my service guy in the morning.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Sad to see this problem as I will no longer consider buying the new allroad. Step up and own this serums problem with a tsb.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

ANOTHER REASON to STAY AWAY from Electric steering! I just HATE the feel of it, even the new RS4 and 911 has the CRAP Eletric steering instead of Hydrolic, and hence new RS4 got a bad review and 911 has lost all of its legendary steering feel... for what? a 0.1 litre/100Km fuel saving, and most likely for lower cost to manufacture (vs. a hydrolic system).

It also could be dangerous if an electric/ECU fault can affect steering and cause a crash.

I really hope they fix this issue, and in future either go back hydrolic, or give it as an option to order (both unlikely unfortunately)!
Old 12-28-2012, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Audi_in_Van
ANOTHER REASON to STAY AWAY from Electric steering! I just HATE the feel of it, even the new RS4 and 911 has the CRAP Eletric steering instead of Hydrolic, and hence new RS4 got a bad review and 911 has lost all of its legendary steering feel... for what? a 0.1 litre/100Km fuel saving, and most likely for lower cost to manufacture (vs. a hydrolic system).

It also could be dangerous if an electric/ECU fault can affect steering and cause a crash.

I really hope they fix this issue, and in future either go back hydrolic, or give it as an option to order (both unlikely unfortunately)!
The electric steering in my Mazda3 GT was excellent. But it is an econobox with some fun driving dynamics built in, so it doesn't compare to Porsche.

However, when my battery decided to spectacularly fail while my wife was driving the car with 2 kids in mid-turn, she lost all assist to the steering. She was quick and grabbed the steering wheel much harder and made the turn, but you can imagine the panic and the problems it can cause.

I don't like electric steering in the slightest, but I'm afraid it's as inevitable as moving to drive-by-wire.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by GTA_Driver
The electric steering in my Mazda3 GT was excellent. But it is an econobox with some fun driving dynamics built in, so it doesn't compare to Porsche.

However, when my battery decided to spectacularly fail while my wife was driving the car with 2 kids in mid-turn, she lost all assist to the steering. She was quick and grabbed the steering wheel much harder and made the turn, but you can imagine the panic and the problems it can cause.

I don't like electric steering in the slightest, but I'm afraid it's as inevitable as moving to drive-by-wire.
Unfortunately it looks like it's gonna stay with us. However, I hope the upper end would adopt a hyrbrid model, like the McLaren, or Porsche cup cars which is a lot more robust.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Update on notchy steering

Sad news to report...

My dealership replaced the power steering rack and I recieved the car back last night. I drove it around before accepting it and it felt like the loaner I had been driving. No notchiness noted.

But today, the problem slowly crept back. Overall it is far more subtle, but it seems like every 4-6 starts the car starts in this notchy state.
I went for a short drive earlier today and thought I felt it but thought it was all in my head or that I am too sensitive about it.
I ran some erands and about 5 starts later, I get on the highway onramp and the all too familiar notchy feel was back and just as pronounced as before the rack replacement.
I got off at the next exit which had a red light. I turned off my car and started it back up and headed home - the notchy feeling was gone again.

At least the steering rack replacement doesnt let the notchiness happen every time. But the stop/start and problem went away behavior is very interesting - and disconcerting.

My dealers service dept. is closed today. I already called AoA and they are contacting the service manager, thus they are aware that I still have this problem.

The steering rack replacement, at least for me, was not the silver bullet.

Quick Reply: 2013 allroad steering issues