Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

2nd Generation Arnott Air Springs

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 11:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd Generation Arnott Air Springs

Hello Folks,

I've recently purchased an 03 Allroad and I'm looking to replace all the air springs since I've been reading about the failures. What would you guys recommend as far as the air springs? I'e read around the forum that the Arnott’s are the way to go but I'm not sure if I should go with the 2nd generation or stick with the first. Also since I'm going to be in there do you recommend changing shock absorbers? The AR has 87k miles on it. Thanks

Vince
Old 05-07-2010, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

How many miles are on it? Why do you feel you need to replace the bags before you need to? I've got about 125K on my 2001 and the air springs still work fine.

That said, I anticipate having to replace them sometime soon. They have to start leaking in near future. I can't be that lucky. When I do, I will do the Arnott air springs. I assume that the 2nd generation version is an improvement over the first generation (otherwise why change them?). I usually wouldn't expect anyone to get something right the first time around. Both have lifetime warranties, so if your suspicious about the change/update of the product for some reason, getthe older version, if you still can. But I'm not sure it would be worth going out of your way to do so.
Old 05-08-2010, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Makes sense, thanks for the advice, I will be going with the 2nd generation air springs from arnott and the bilsteins that go with them.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

According to the description by Arnott, the Gen II air springs give a bit stiffer ride (higher spring rate) than do the Gen I's

This is due to a outer cover over the rubber bladder and a slightly different piston shape (probably tapered a bit).

I replaced the front air springs and shocks in our 2002 allroad with the mileage at 113K. There had been some leakage of air from the original air springs when the ride was in level 1 and 2.

I used Gen I air springs because I had concerns my spouse would object to a harsher overall ride. Note that Arnott states the Gen II air springs only affect the ride at the lower level.

For us, the Gen I air springs are just fine. Plus we saved about $200.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm wondering if I should have gone for the GenII springs. My car now feels kinda squirelly on level 1. I don't usually drive it there, but when I tow my small trailer I run it there so the hitch height will be lower. The car is uncomfortable to drive at that level now, and it used to be fine....

On level 2 the car feels completely normal......
Old 05-11-2010, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My stock air springs can feel a bit squirrely on level 1 at times, mostly when going over bumps mid corner. Not so much in level 2. If/when my stock airbags go, I will definitely be getting the Gen II's.

Regarding the towing in level 1, the manual specifically states towing should be done in level 2. I'm guessing so that the self-leveling feature can work properly. I doubt it would actually damage anything, but they must have mentioned that for a reason.