Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

4.2 Exhaust Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 03:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.2 Exhaust Upgrade?

In April I purchased an '04 4.2 allroad and a week later was rear ended, fortunately not too badly and someone else will be paying. Part of the repair will require replacement of the factory exhaust from the resonator back. At $590 each side, it seems like an opportune time to upgrade. I checked out SuperSprint's website, but I'm looking for suggestions.

I'm also getting the OEM trailer hitch installed while the rear end is off. Gotta try to see the bright side of the accident...Thanks.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default are you sure you are getting the OEM hitch installed?

I doubt they have tried to source that part yet, it is discontinued. And impossible to find, sorry...

The euro allroad hitch is still available, and works for the most part, search the forum for more info on that -
Old 05-01-2007, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Why not go with a Milltek or APR cat-back?
Old 05-01-2007, 09:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Why not go with a Milltek or APR cat-back?

Thanks for the additional sources. I've got an email into APR to see if they have a 4.2 allroad system. Nothing shows up online. I'll research Milltek more, though I'm not crazy about the flat oval tips...
Old 05-02-2007, 01:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: are you sure you are getting the OEM hitch installed?

Damn. I had gotten a price for the hitch from University Audi but after your post I had them check stock and you're right, no dice. Incidentally I went looking for mats and racks for the car and Audi Collection has discontinued a lot if not all their allroad stock. Fortunately, UVAudi seems to have bought a lot of the closeout stock and I was able to find what I wanted. I was hoping this might include the hitch.

I searched on the euro hitch and read your past posts on your install. Very helpful. You mentioned a Canadian importer in one of your earlier posts which I assume is PG Performance. I live in Seattle but I'm from Bellinham and I'm up there every other week. I'll give them a call.

Also, I understand that with a 2004 I shouldn't have to worry about wiring. Is that true or is there some residual wiring that is still needed?

Thanks for the help!
Old 05-02-2007, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default you will still need the Hopkins hitch adapter

it a little dongle about a ft long that converts the 13 pin round socket that is on your car now to the US std. flat 4 pin plug.

These run about a buck sixty from Audi or $99 from genuineaudiparts.com

and yes... PG Performance is the one.. I have got the hitch installed now, works great..

Old 05-02-2007, 02:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: you will still need the Hopkins hitch adapter

Great, thanks.

Do you install the adapter when installing the hitch or just keep it in the trunk and plug it in when you're towing?

I talked to PG and they quoted $800 US. Does that sound right?

Thanks again for the help.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Keep it in the car, only plug it in when your towing.

PG Performance quoted me $750 for ocean freight and $800 for air... they told me that these were commercial prices, they said they were giving me a good price becuase I just called up, gave them the part number and said I will give it a shot, even though I'm not sure if it will work... They said that if it worked for me, they would raise the price for future customers... it doesn't seem like they raised the price so I would go for it... They had the best price by far when I was shopping around. If you can pick it up at the border you wont have to pay shipping. They dropped it off for me at the Can-Am(?) place just this side of the boarder...

one word of caution. PG's supplier is back-ordered a ways on the hitches. I know a fellow AW'er who ordered from them right after I did and he is still waiting for his hitch...
Old 05-03-2007, 09:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

They said 2-3 weeks for it to get here. Is that the air freight timing? The woman I spoke to said that they have a warehouse in Blaine now where I could pick it up. I'll get it ordered as soon as I confirm the body shop is willing to do the install as part of the repair.

Thanks again for your help!
Old 05-03-2007, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default sounds like air freight

the warehouse is just the can-am place, it's right at the truck border, which is in blain.

Even if you can't get the shop to install it, you should get it anyway. The install is not bad at all, especailly since you don't have to deal with the harness.

I would be happy to help you install it for a six pack or a single malt :P --- really though, you could stop by after you pick it up and we could toss it in... 1-2 hours max (assuming that your shop installed a new bumper support, did you see <a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/allroad/msgs/194065.phtml">this post</a>?), I have all the tools, and I know what needs to be done to get that EU hitch in there....

Quick Reply: 4.2 Exhaust Upgrade?