Air suspension on 2001 vs 2005 models

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 08:03 PM
mxp
Audiworld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air suspension on 2001 vs 2005 models

Hi,

I have been reading and getting familiarized with the air suspension on the AR's.

A couple of questions:

1. Is the system/modules of the air suspension any more reliable on the 2005 vs the 2001 models?

2. What is the failure rate of the air suspension system *ball park* ? It's is 1 in 10 cars or 1 in 5 that will experience some kind of failure, whether it's a leak or a pump failure etc.
What I mean is whether every AR owner *WILL* encounter a problem at a certain point in their ownership of this model? It is characterized as not a matter of if it will happen but when?

Thanks for any help.
Old 09-22-2015, 04:37 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

front air springs can go out from 50k to 125k
the rears, most folks get 150k+ before the first swap, a few almost 200k
compressor, depends on many factors, mine was replaced at 95k, same with the valve block
both can last over 100k if they are treated right
Old 09-22-2015, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default air spring system

Originally Posted by mxp
Hi,

I have been reading and getting familiarized with the air suspension on the AR's.

A couple of questions:

1. Is the system/modules of the air suspension any more reliable on the 2005 vs the 2001 models?

2. What is the failure rate of the air suspension system *ball park* ? It's is 1 in 10 cars or 1 in 5 that will experience some kind of failure, whether it's a leak or a pump failure etc.
What I mean is whether every AR owner *WILL* encounter a problem at a certain point in their ownership of this model? It is characterized as not a matter of if it will happen but when?

Thanks for any help.
Regarding your first question, there is a difference in behavior of the air spring system in the years 2001-2005 in order to understand the system and differences Between Models google for "SSP 243". In my car air bags had been replaced after 110000 km 70000
miles. The matter is if you are able to identify failure in the air bag early so it ends just in replacing an air bag, but if you delayed it continues to replace the compressor valves block.... And in tip the failure after 120000 km (Torque converter). In a shortcut If you have the ability to take care of this vehicle alone the vehicle is fun and challenging. If you rely on garages that repair your vehicle then prepares a lot of money

Last edited by amiram; 09-22-2015 at 07:03 AM.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:50 AM
mxp
Audiworld Senior Member

Default Some more questions...

Thanks for your reply.

Do you know how to tell if either the compressor or valve block is on its way out? Say on a 2001 AR with 130k miles?

BTW, I am looking at a particular used 2001 AR:
While the car was stationary, I actually pressed the buttons going up and down the 4 levels (LEDs are working) and the car did exactly as it should at each level. I did this twice and it did not show an error on the dash.

Should I leave it at Level 4, and have it sit overnight on an incline driveway with the front-end pointing down the slope of the driveway? Just to see if any air leaks and the suspension bottoms out overnight? I dunno, I am just thinking of ways to make any problems show up before I make a purchase.

Thanks for any advice.

Originally Posted by PaperToast
front air springs can go out from 50k to 125k
the rears, most folks get 150k+ before the first swap, a few almost 200k
compressor, depends on many factors, mine was replaced at 95k, same with the valve block
both can last over 100k if they are treated right
Old 09-22-2015, 10:59 AM
mxp
Audiworld Senior Member

Default Some more questions...

Thanks for the tip. I googled and found the links here:
quattroworld.com Forums: Here is a three part SSP covering the air suspension

I will read them later...

Some more questions:

It seems from reading some threads in our forum, that the AR suffers from constantly 4-wheel alignment issues due to these air suspension struts/shocks. Is that true? What I mean is, presumably, at any one of the 4 adjustable levels, the wheel alignment measurements have a high tendency to always drift in values.

Are these air suspension components considered a DIY effort when they need to be replaced ?

Thanks.

Originally Posted by amiram
Regarding your first question, there is a difference in behavior of the air spring system in the years 2001-2005 in order to understand the system and differences Between Models google for "SSP 243". In my car air bags had been replaced after 110000 km 70000
miles. The matter is if you are able to identify failure in the air bag early so it ends just in replacing an air bag, but if you delayed it continues to replace the compressor valves block.... And in tip the failure after 120000 km (Torque converter). In a shortcut If you have the ability to take care of this vehicle alone the vehicle is fun and challenging. If you rely on garages that repair your vehicle then prepares a lot of money
Old 09-22-2015, 11:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Air springs

Most of the time the vehicle run at height Level 2 or in higher Speed on height level 1 and there is no problem. In Level 3-4 the vehicle have a speed limited (It is written in SSP243 )so the problem is negligible.
In connection with a test that you did you have to wait 24-48 hours in height level 2, and then see if ther is a drop in height of the vehicle.
the test shows that the valve block and the compressor are OK.
If you have experience it takes about one hour to replace one air spring

Last edited by amiram; 09-22-2015 at 11:37 PM.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:51 PM
mxp
Audiworld Senior Member

Thanks amiram,

So I piked out of possibly owning an AR and decided to stick to what I know... the old 1.8T.
Just picked up a 100k mile 2003 A4 Avant 1.8TQA today.

Originally Posted by amiram
Most of the time the vehicle run at height Level 2 or in higher Speed on height level 1 and there is no problem. In Level 3-4 the vehicle have a speed limited (It is written in SSP243 )so the problem is negligible.
In connection with a test that you did you have to wait 24-48 hours in height level 2, and then see if ther is a drop in height of the vehicle.
the test shows that the valve block and the compressor are OK.
If you have experience it takes about one hour to replace one air spring