Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

allroad 2.7T tip vs. Touareg V6

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 12:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default allroad 2.7T tip vs. Touareg V6

I read many posts regarding the above comparison but just wanted to read the latest comments from users.

Do you guys consider it crazy to lease a 2004 allroad for 4 years over the new Touareg V6?

Some questions would much appreciate any feedback:

1. Which is roomier in the back? Legroom, trunk space?

2. Handling, would a stock 2.7T tip with stock P6 tires, without the 402, H-sport, GIAC tip chip, or steering mod. be able to out handle the Touareg V6 by a wide margin?

3. For those who use the allroad as the baby car, do you regret over not getting a larger SUV?

Last time I test drove the two side by side, the allroad seems to be much faster and better, but with the new baby girl, I wanted to ensure this is the best pick for the new family in the next 4 years!

We're currently driving a A4 3.0 Avant tip and find it too tight in the back and the trunk too small for our gear.
Old 04-06-2004, 02:40 AM

Default This is why God invented Thule and Hertz

People size their vehicle purchase for the Christmas and Easter trips to the inlaws, with gifts for all the nieces and nephews. By that logic I should have a Suburban. I have two (small) kids in an S4 Avant, kicking around an allroad more for ground clearance on the dirt roads around my weekend house than for add'l room. Put the Thule box on top when I need it, and twice a year I rent a minivan (there, I said it) for the holidays.
Old 04-06-2004, 04:15 AM

Default Re: allroad 2.7T tip vs. Touareg V6

1. I think there is not a lot of difference in space. Not decisive. Both are significantly bigger than A4 Avant.
2. Probably yes. But Touareg anyway is still good onroad (for a SUV) and (much) better offroad (suspension, low ratio, differentials ...)
3. No; with 2 small kids no problems (stroller, few suitcases, skis, small sledge). Then of course depends what you want take with you.

The Touareg V6 has received some critics for its lack of power/torque. For sure misses the dynamics of the allroad with biturbo.
Old 04-06-2004, 04:34 AM

Re: This is why I have an ar and a Yukon XL
Old 04-06-2004, 05:07 AM

Default Re: allroad 2.7T tip vs. Touareg V6. Ease of Use

Good questions. I came from a Cayenne to the AR and while I miss the preformance of the C-S, I don't miss some of its idiosyncratic issues. Like back seat use. I presume the VW T is the same in that lowering the back seat is a 3 step process, remove head rest, pull seat bottom up, push forward then lower back. Also while our new born is not hear yet (any day now) we have found that getting the child seat in and out of the ar is easier because of the lower height.

It is individual preference, I like the styling cues of the ar better then the Toureg and since we already have one truck we don't need another.

With the ar, you are getting a known commodity the VW is a .0 release and still not proven. Have you checked the VW boards to see what people are saying. Also if you want a some fun the lower weight of the ar will give you a better p to w ratio which will equate to more grins on your part. Just my .02..
Old 04-06-2004, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Just ran through the same analysis......a bit long, sorry

Ended up with the Allroad and routinely comment on how glad I am about the decision. Keys for me:

1. Unless you want to do some hardcore offroading, the Allroad will suffice.

2. If you shop carefully you can get better pricing/breaks from sticker etc. on the Allroad.

3. Insurance, at least for me, was cheaper on the Allroad than the Touareg.

4. Gas mileage, while not great, is better on the Allroad.

5. I see loads of Touaregs on the road in my area. I've seen 3 Allroads in the past 6-9 months--gives me a very unique car.

6. V6 Touareg is a dog compared to the Allroad (even stock). I believe I recall reading something that said the V6 Touareg is like a 9-10 second 0-60 while even a Allroad with Tip is a low 7 second car. Thats a big difference.

7. Handling on the Allroad is better--it drives like a quality sedan. Touareg is a truck. Add some H-sports for approx. 500-600 total cost and it seems the Allroad will handle like a champ. (Hoping to do that soon)

8. Visit vwvortex.com and read some of the problems on the Touareg. Granted, the Allroad is not perfect, but seems like a lot of problems on the first version Touareg.

Just my thoughts. I bought my Allroad in December 2003 and haven't regretted it for even a second. In fact, to the contrary, I still take the long way home from work almost every night! Good luck.
Old 04-06-2004, 05:56 AM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we have friends that have an A4 avant with one kid...whose about 4 yrs old now with no problems with room. I have twins and an allroad with no issues with gear in the back. we used to take two of everything, like the pack-n-plays, clothes, toys, etc. and had no issues with not enough room. my twins are 3 yrs old now...so, we are slimming down on gear when visiting or traveling. there's enough room for rear facing, front facing and booster seats.

getting into the allroad even in the highest setting with the kids pose no issues as well...but may with the Touareg.
Old 04-06-2004, 06:14 AM

We're in the middle of the same decision, ar vs Touareg, 2 adults, baby, 2 dogs.

1. The ar has more rear legroom and more horizontal room behind the back seats. The Touareg has more vertical room back there, it seems.

2. I think the stock ar 2.7T - with no mods - would outperform the Touareg 6 by a significant margin. We've both driven the Touareg 8, and we both say the ar 2.7T is much more fun to drive...on the road, anyway.

3. Ask me in a few weeks...

I love the looks of the A4 Avant, and if there was any way to cram my family in there, I would get it in a heartbeat. But there is a boatload more room in the ar. In fact, the ar seems to have more room than anything else comperable.

The Touareg is a nice vehicle, for sure. Great interior, drives great for its size with the V8, lots of cool tech features. I'm a bit frightened of its infancy, though, and I look forward to hearing about how it fares in the reliability dept.

FYI: We're leaning heavily toward the ar 4.2...
Old 04-06-2004, 06:56 AM

The only thing the Towrag really has going for it is the 5.0L V10 diesel
Old 04-06-2004, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Just ran ... same analysis ... AGREE w/ Cobalt 100%

* I lurked in the vortex/T-reg site for awhile and was getting more skeptical the longer I waited for a silver one to show up.

* First impression of the T-reg was big on the outside (+) but MUCH less interior roominess than expected (-).

* Driving the T-reg was also a let down. Felt big / stable / solid .. but sloooowwww.

> Allroad feels big / stable / solid ... BUT very (deceivingly!) quick & nimble. Mods will make it even more so if desired. Don't think there is much you can do to make a T-reg any quicker or "fun".

>> Have loved EVERY minute w/ the Allroad.

04 2.7T - Atlas

Quick Reply: allroad 2.7T tip vs. Touareg V6