Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Allroad Air Suspension... RESET?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Allroad Air Suspension... RESET?

In the process of replacing the passenger-side, upper control arms, I needed to remove the entire spring to remove/replace the control arms. In doing so, I removed the airline (carefully), did the job, and reinstalled the airline. Obviously, as part of the process, this air spring "deflated," lost all air. When I reconnected the battery and turned the ignition on (after a few seconds) the system sensed that that specific spring was lower than the rest and lowered the whole system to Level 1. HOWEVER... now, when I push the button to raise the system... the green light shows briefly when I push the button but does not stay "engaged" and tell the compressor to respond accordingly. I've locked it in and out of Jack Mode twice since doing the job. I'm not getting any error message on the dash, or the code reader. Is there a way to RESET the system or is anyone aware of what is causing this? Thanks! (BTW... I have a new Arnot pump which has functioned flawlessly for the past year and none of my springs leak at all.)
Old 04-03-2014, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two problems with the work you did. You didn't need to unhook the airline or the battery. The 2nd one being the biggie here. There is enough play in the bag/shock assembly to lower it out of the top mounting holes and rotate enough to gain access to the upper CA bolts without removal. Not sure why you unhooked the battery, but enough yelling at you.

Did you start the engine and let the compressor run to fill the system? Depending on battery voltage the compressor will usually only run with the engine started. If system is low on air PSI then it will not respond to level change.

BTW: you will also need to do a throttle body reset since you unhooked the battery. Turn key on, but do not start, and let it sit for a minute. You will hear the whiring and clicking of the TB reseting itself.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the insights and info! I'll give that a shot tomorrow. I did the control arms at the end of a long weekend where I also replaced the thermostat and valve cover gaskets. Just figured I'd unhook battery during the 12 hours of tinkering on those two jobs. I haven't started the car, only turned the ignition on to see what the air system would do, so that may be the problem right there. Had to wait for the G12 coolant to arrive today and did a flush & fill tonight, so now I can start it up again. I'll be sure and leave the ignition for a minute or two for the TB reset before starting. Thanks again!
Old 04-04-2014, 07:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

When someone has to replace a suspension air bag it will not have air in it and basically the same as you did by removing the air line releasing the pressurized air. it should run the compressor once you turn on the car. when I did my air bags that's how it worked.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Worked like a charm!

I turned the ignition on and let it sit for a minute to reset the TB. As soon as I started the engine the compressor went to town... Suspension leveled itself... Ran it through the levels and it works perfectly!!! THANK YOU ALL for the feedback and guidance!
Old 04-13-2023, 01:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by wenzels2001
In the process of replacing the passenger-side, upper control arms, I needed to remove the entire spring to remove/replace the control arms. In doing so, I removed the airline (carefully), did the job, and reinstalled the airline. Obviously, as part of the process, this air spring "deflated," lost all air. When I reconnected the battery and turned the ignition on (after a few seconds) the system sensed that that specific spring was lower than the rest and lowered the whole system to Level 1. HOWEVER... now, when I push the button to raise the system... the green light shows briefly when I push the button but does not stay "engaged" and tell the compressor to respond accordingly. I've locked it in and out of Jack Mode twice since doing the job. I'm not getting any error message on the dash, or the code reader. Is there a way to RESET the system or is anyone aware of what is causing this? Thanks! (BTW... I have a new Arnot pump which has functioned flawlessly for the past year and none of my springs leak at all.)
here is reasons why air suspension compressor dies and downloadable manual of allroad air suspension