Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Allroad belt tensioner – can anyone please help?

Old 11-06-2018, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Allroad belt tensioner – can anyone please help?

When my 2005 Allroad 2.5 tdi (BAU engine) stopped suddenly I found that the cause was obvious and relatively simple. The centre bolt securing the injection pump tensioner pulley has snapped clean off thus releasing the belt from engagement.Having purchased a replacement tensioner I am now faced with two problems. The first is how to gain access to replace the part and secondly how to re-synchronise the rotary position of the injector pump with the engine. I have done much browsing but so far failed to find any guidance on this specific issue though much is written about the main timing belt which in my case is fortunately ok.I have already removed the front bumper and headlights so any advice on how much or how little I need to remove in order to change the broken part will be gratefully received. The attached photos show the broken bolt, the existing pulley which is trapped behind a bracket and the replacement pulley
Many thanks in advance

Last edited by allankennedy; 11-06-2018 at 07:49 AM. Reason: added information
Old 11-06-2018, 05:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Lock the engine by using the locking plates in the back of the camshafts. Rotate the injection pump pulley until the lock8ng pin will go right on on that (you can leave the big damper on, the pin goes through it
With the cams and pump locked, fit the relay belt and tension it. Take out the pin and locking plates and it should be fine.
i had to change my injection pump did it this way.

There is facility to log the crank with a pin which goes in near the oil drain plug but if you are not touching the cambelt there is no need as crank.and cams will be still be in correct timing.
Old 11-06-2018, 05:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

You need to put the front carrier into service position to do this job. You remove the bolts each side holding the black carrier (holds rad etc) in position after removing the bumper. It can then be pulled forward giving enough room to do the job.
Old 11-06-2018, 06:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

You need to put the front carrier into service position to do this job. You remove the bolts each side holding the black carrier (holds rad etc) in position after removing the bumper. It can then be pulled forward giving enough room to do the job.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for that but I'm struggling at present because I cant remove the top hose on the right hand side (right when facing the engine) I have pulled out the wire clip but the plastic connector is firmly stuck and I am afraid of breaking something. I have soaked it with WD40 so next I will try warming it a little (when the rain stops) Do you have any advice on this ?
Thanks again
Old 11-07-2018, 07:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

You dont need to remove the top hose, the rad will pull forward to service position without undoing the hoses