Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

allroad died while driving, no electricity, no go....

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Default allroad died while driving, no electricity, no go....

I had suspected for some time that my alternator or voltage regulator was dying. The volt gauge wasn't getting above 12 volts for the last few months. Well it finally went. The volts swung down to about 10 or 11 and then the battery light came on. In an attempt to get closer to home I was able to drive with all the accessories turned off for a good 30 miles. Must have hit the minimum required volts just short of my destination because everything just quit. The dashboard lit up, the traction control shook the car and the gauges froze. Was able to coast down to a parking lot, though steering this beast with no power steering is a chore. Got it towed to a local indy shop hoping it was just the regulator but it ended up being the alternator. Quote is for $600 parts and labor. I would recommend that if you see the low volts behavior, have a high mileage daily driver (mine is an '01 and has 117k) and you don't want to be stranded somewhere, get it checked. If I would have been going 75 down the freeway in the fast lane it would have been a little scary. Of course thanks to this forum, I new what was going on, and was being careful :-)
Old 11-03-2008, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You drove the car with the alternator gone, and you "new" what was going on? Great judgement on your

part, remind me never to ask your opinion on preventive maintenance, and safe driving!
Old 11-03-2008, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I new [sic] I wasn't in the safest place to pull over, I was being extremely cautious and

honestly didn't expect the sudden "let go" where everything shutdown. I thought it would be a little more graceful once the battery light came on (running rough etc.) Sorry, I didn't make the perfect decision but I thought this forum was about learning from others wisdom AND mistakes. Thanks for yours....
Old 11-03-2008, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I think the response was kinda harsh.I think he's realized any mistakes made
Old 11-03-2008, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default how it works....

once the alternator goes, the car runs on the battery. Once the available voltage in thebattery gets to a certain lower level, the systems simply shut off.

Ie.. no spark for the plugs, so no motor, no steering, (powersteering) , no vaccum for the brakes.

Not a safe choice if you know its about to happen.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I agree, In retrospect I should have made some time....

for a trip to the shop and had it checked out sooner. The lower output from the alternator (12-13 volts)is a subtle symptom and easy to ignore with nothing else acting up. Bottomline: when the battery light comes on and the volts drop, park it as soon as you can and call the tow truck.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Harsh....lmao...its stupid to attempt to drive a vehicle on the hwy, when you know its going to

break dowm imminently, you not only put your life at risk, but every other driver on the road with you!
Old 11-03-2008, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In his defense, Have you ever been in a huge traffic jam caused by some moron who ran outta gas?
Old 11-03-2008, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Now we are comparing an uncommon failure mode with running out of gas!?

If I would have seen an Audi repair shop on the corner I would have pulled in. I thought this kind of "flaming" was reserved for someone bragging about how they got the car up to 120mph and then took a picture of the speedometer....I'm done with this one, you guys win.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I would say driving a "few" months with a failing alt is equal to driving on the reserve ...

Quick Reply: allroad died while driving, no electricity, no go....