Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Allroad drove on failed suspension now lost traction

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Allroad drove on failed suspension now lost traction

My Audi allroad c5 suspension failed and I was riding on the engine mounts and shock absorbers while waiting for the weekend to repair it (I snapped the collar bolt while trying to take of the suspension arms) then something gave way while driving over rumble strips. There's now oil on engine parts. I took off an engine mount to examine it but it appears fine. Could the transmission have disengaged somehow? It's a manual and I can barely pull off on a slight incline and on the flat I cannot get over about 30 mph. Cannot drive it with no traction/transmission engagement on an incline. It smokes more now also. Any suggestions?
Old 09-26-2018, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Gotelldave
My Audi allroad c5 suspension failed and I was riding on the engine mounts and shock absorbers while waiting for the weekend to repair it (I snapped the collar bolt while trying to take of the suspension arms) then something gave way while driving over rumble strips. There's now oil on engine parts. I took off an engine mount to examine it but it appears fine. Could the transmission have disengaged somehow? It's a manual and I can barely pull off on a slight incline and on the flat I cannot get over about 30 mph. Cannot drive it with no traction/transmission engagement on an incline. It smokes more now also. Any suggestions?
. Looking at more forums i think head gasket is gone as smoke is quite heavy and the oil around one side of the engine near the passenger engine bearing bracket. I'll get a quote for that, too big a job for me. Engine
Old 09-27-2018, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Head gasket

So after looking at a few YouTube vids it seems replacing head gaskets can result in inconsistent outcomes where the new one can fail immediately if the cause has not been diagnosed, excellent vids by Schrödinger's box (https://youtu.be/06l5jHMZt0Y).
Thinking of replacing one side of the V6 (passenger side) head gasket. Seems like it will take me a day or so. Any watch outs I need to look out for with the 2.5 V6 TDI are appreciated.