Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

allroad going away?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2003, 10:08 AM
sal
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default allroad going away?

Are any of you rather concerned about the possibility of the allroad going away in either 2004 or 2005? Would that not dramatically effect the resale value? It is hard for me to believe that the allroad was not more popular in the US. I get positive comments wherever I go. It seems like they stopped marketing efforts a bit soon.
Old 02-10-2003, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default What marketing efforts? The only ad I've ever seen for an allroad of ANY type (print, TV, etc) was

on the back of Alaska Air's inflight magazine. Every time I see the new 4Runner ad or the new Aviator ad or even the new Hummer H2 ad, I think that they all would've been just as effective at selling the allroad. Gone are the days when Audi had great ads like "Unfair Advantage," or my personal favorite, the "Shadow" ad. Now they have the stupid-*** pizza guy or air-jar cabrio commercials.
Old 02-10-2003, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The C5 platform (on which the allroad is built) is going away...

So, resale is going to drop regardless.

If the newer Audi product line appeals to more consumers, and the Audi image elevated in the eyes of the ignorant, resale of all older Audis will suffer less...
Old 02-10-2003, 10:50 AM

Default Re: allroad going away?

I don't think that the reason to buy an Audi has ever been because it has great resale value. They've never been as strong in this regard as the other German boys. Also, the A6 platform as we know it is getting long in the tooth, having been introduced as a MY '98 vehicle. As I recall, the Avant came out in MY '99, but even so, in this day and age, a 6-7 year model year run is about the maximum average. So 2004 wouldn't be out of line for its phase-out.
IMHO, get the allroad because it is a great vehicle to be enjoyed on a daily basis, not because you'll have superior resale at some other time.
Old 02-10-2003, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Re: What marketing efforts? The only ad I've ever seen for an allroad of ANY type (print, TV, etc)

New Car and Driver has a comment under the picture of the Pike's Peak basically saying that Audi is the only company on this or any other planet to not offer an SUV.

Now I do not consider my allroad an SUV -- but all this hoopla about new "allroad like" (I can think of no other way to describe them) cars with out any homage to the allroad is pitiful.

The allroad "unknown" "underappreciated" "unmarketed" crossover vehicle is -- as it is rolled out from other manufacturers -- being touted as the next new thing. The concept, as presented by Audi, may have been too understated. And, in point of fact, I can partially agree with that point of view.

However, the new Infinity and Chrysler are the "kinda sorta" station wagon, SUV, AAV (all activity vehicles) with a mini-van third cousin thrown in vehicles -- well, they certainly are at least in the same species as the allroad. And that's what confuses me and pisses me off. Audi never gets the recognition.

This lack of recognition is perhaps a self-inflicted wound. Even the other Audi owners in my company don't seem to know what an allroad is.

Perhaps the thought is that the Pike's Peak will be "obvious" as to its intended purpose and lineage.
Old 02-10-2003, 11:58 AM

Default They must be ignoring Saab, Jaguar...

not to mention Ferrari, Lotus, and other exotics. None of them have SUVs yet (thankfully). Subaru arguably doesn't either.
Old 02-10-2003, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It is quite popular in snow-country and the northeast...

not so much in coastal California...and probably not so in the lower mid-west...but I think the allroad has been a very successful vehicle for Audi. The fact that you don't see many doesn't indicate a failure, just that there weren't that many expected to be sold...
Remember Audi sells only 85,000 cars in the U.S. each year...total! There are over 400,000 Accords, 400,000 Camrys, and 400,000 Tauruses sold each year!!! EACH!!!
So, the 4000-5000 allroads out of 85,000 isn't too bad considering the vast majority of Audis are A4s...then base A6 3.0s, then some 2.7Ts, and a smattering of 4.2s and S6s. A few thousand A8s are sold...but I really think the 4-5000 allroads is really holding up its end of the Audi lineup. Hell, there were less than 1200 total S6s sold over 2 years!
Old 02-10-2003, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The allroad isn't a cross-over and isn't too related to the new breed of SUV-ish cars...

the SUVs deserve more credit in the creation of the new crossovers...people like being up high, but they want an "easier to drive" vehicle...and in reality, the allroad deserves virtually no credit when it comes to SUWs either...the Subaru Outback deserves 95% of the credit for the success of the "offroad wagon", then another 4% goes to the Volvo Cross-Country, and only 1% to the allroad.
The allroad and Volvo do deserve credit though for moving the market upscale...IMO.
Old 02-10-2003, 01:12 PM

Default The SUV backlash has already started. Especially with George W's decision....

...to be the first President to start a war offensively. Oil is up and SUVs seem like a waste just to drive to the malls. Not many who own them are actually druging through the tundra!
Old 02-10-2003, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Forrester owners would take exception to your last statement.

Quick Reply: allroad going away?