Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Allroad viscous fan blade - different?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 04:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Kneale Brownson
Aren't there holes in the back of the pulley for a pin wrench?
Sure are.
But for years now, I have been struggling in such case. Didn't really know that such tool exists and how it is called.

Goes right on my shopping list. I assume they come in set (small, medium, large)?

Whit the pin wrench, its a snap to break the visco clutch nut.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not too many choices, actually. The pictured one worked for the viscous clutch pulley on my '90 V8s. Mine is only about 8 inches long. It's called an adjustable pin spanner or wrench.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I found a few (some as kits with interchangeable pins; but my experience is: you never find those bits when you need them), but pricey.

Being a fan of 'ghetto solutions', I make just cut 2 pieces of flat steel, drill hole and connect with lock nut on one end. Weld 'pins' on the other end. 500% better than trying to 'wedge' the pulleys with screw drivers and breaker bars as I have been doing for years!
Old 06-10-2012, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

$10 on Amazon: http://tinyurl.com/bmzs9sq
Old 06-10-2012, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Saw that. But only 80mm max pin distance.
May not be enough for some of the larger pulleys?
Old 06-10-2012, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Ordered from ebay. $9.88 incl. shipping
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=370616698360
Old 06-10-2012, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I think I got mine--Audi calls it a 3212--from SnapOn. I see they sell it today for about $30.
Old 03-14-2015, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old thread...

I am attempting to do the service position, only an A6 version is available as a DIY video on YT. Not exactly the same from AllRoad to A6. Regardless, I am curious on how you removed the clutch with a 32MM without the fan rotating around the clutch while attempting to turn clockwise. I don't want to drop another tool in the engine cavity attempting this procedure. Help.

Originally Posted by vtraudt
Ok. Just finished taking the blade and the clutch off, WITHOUT touching the front end.

1 1/4 inch wrench (only one I had that big. Probably a 32mm - for the visco clutch nut (note: left hand thread; turn CLOCKWISE to loosen.

Took the driver side air inlet tube off (plastic, from intercooler hose to throttle body boot): 2 hose clamps, 1x 10mm hex bolt
Take DV valve hose clamp off connecting to that tube.

Once the tube is out, stick 32mm on visco clutch nut.
Only tricky part: find a way to block the visco clutch from turning. the housing has 3 (?) holes to insert one of those pliers with 'pins' in the front (maybe Autozone). I always use a breaker bar with slightly angled head, stick it into a slot of the housing and wedge against the alu block that sticks out right next to the clutch housing.

Break the bolt loose, (clockwise!), the turn nut until fan comes off (with clutch).

Hole thing lifts out to the top. Voila.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Scottay5150
I am attempting to do the service position, only an A6 version is available as a DIY video on YT. Not exactly the same from AllRoad to A6. Regardless, I am curious on how you removed the clutch with a 32MM without the fan rotating around the clutch while attempting to turn clockwise. I don't want to drop another tool in the engine cavity attempting this procedure. Help.
No need to do service position:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...laced-2828873/
Old 05-28-2015, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Divine intervention...

Having finally decided that removing the timing belt was necessary to doing a truly good job of replacing valve cover gaskets and especially cam tensioner gaskets, I began removing the rest of the items keeping me from that objective (on a 2001 2.7T MT allroad with 175K miles—complete with the obnoxious and recalcitrant combination valves...).

When I got to the viscous fan, and read this thread, I resigned myself to driving 35 miles into town for a 32mm wrench and whatever kind of pin spanner I could find in Albuquerque to remove the fan. Fortunately my wife was off with the other car, so I began wondering if there wasn't something I had that would accomplish the task.

It wasn't long before likely candidates presented themselves—funky, but worth a try. They worked so well, and the job was so utterly effortless, I thought I'd share them.

14.5" crescent wrench I bought at a yard sale for a buck. And the spanner that came with my Makita 4.5" 13amp variable speed right angle saw/grinder. One pin of the spanner fit in a hole in the clutch, while the other went into one of the slots, handle braced against the aluminum protrusion provided from the engine block. Came off so quickly and effortlessly, all I could do was laugh.

Now, on to the driver's side gaskets...

Quick Reply: Allroad viscous fan blade - different?