Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Allroad Window control problem - help needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Allroad Window control problem - help needed

Hi
I was driving along quite happily in my 2005 Allroad when my n/s rear window decided to fully open of it's own accord. I tried to close it but it would not respond to the switch so I pulled over to investigate. I found that the other three windows were working ok and after a while the offending window responded but would move only about one inch at a time. After a dozen or so presses of the switch I managed to close the window and continued on my journey. A few minutes later the same window opened again. This time I carried on driving until I got home, then closed the window again in small increments.
Today I have removed the door panel and found the motor to be quite hot so I unplugged it and removed it from the regulator. On reconnecting the plug with the motor free I find that it is running continuously. Operating the switch in either direction causes the motor to momentarily stop and then carry on running. Suspecting the problem might be the door mounted switch I exchanged it for the o/s one but the motor behaved exactly the same.
My question is what controls the window motor and where is it located ? Also could the problem be down to software? I have recently had a recurring suspension fault light which I seem to have cured by using VAG to clear the stored faults. I wondered if my incursion into the realms of VAG could have caused an upset with the window but I cannot find anything in VAG that relates to window control, Though the version I have is only the cheap unauthorised one. Can anyone throw any light on the problem ?
Old 06-05-2018, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by allankennedy
Hi
I was driving along quite happily in my 2005 Allroad when my n/s rear window decided to fully open of it's own accord. I tried to close it but it would not respond to the switch so I pulled over to investigate. I found that the other three windows were working ok and after a while the offending window responded but would move only about one inch at a time. After a dozen or so presses of the switch I managed to close the window and continued on my journey. A few minutes later the same window opened again. This time I carried on driving until I got home, then closed the window again in small increments.
Today I have removed the door panel and found the motor to be quite hot so I unplugged it and removed it from the regulator. On reconnecting the plug with the motor free I find that it is running continuously. Operating the switch in either direction causes the motor to momentarily stop and then carry on running. Suspecting the problem might be the door mounted switch I exchanged it for the o/s one but the motor behaved exactly the same.
My question is what controls the window motor and where is it located ? Also could the problem be down to software? I have recently had a recurring suspension fault light which I seem to have cured by using VAG to clear the stored faults. I wondered if my incursion into the realms of VAG could have caused an upset with the window but I cannot find anything in VAG that relates to window control, Though the version I have is only the cheap unauthorised one. Can anyone throw any light on the problem ?
Problem solved
Today i removed the n/s rear window motor and connected is to the plug of the o/s one with the result that it runs out of control just as it does on the n/s . My conclusiois that the fault is withing the control circuitry that is integral to the motor. Fortunately used motors are available on Ebay and I have ordered one at £10 including postage and I am fairly confident this will solve the problem.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by allankennedy
Problem solved
Today i removed the n/s rear window motor and connected is to the plug of the o/s one with the result that it runs out of control just as it does on the n/s . My conclusiois that the fault is withing the control circuitry that is integral to the motor. Fortunately used motors are available on Ebay and I have ordered one at £10 including postage and I am fairly confident this will solve the problem.
Unplug the driver's windows control buttons and see if it helps