Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Am I making a good choice??

Old 12-09-2017, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I making a good choice??

I've found a lovely green '03 Allroad 2,7T on craigslist.

116k miles, timing belt and water pump has been done at 95K miles.
Suspension has been upgraded to normal spring struts.

They're asking 4,900... Is this worth it? I know the 2,7T has been known to be a problem engine...
What should I expect (aside from the normal oil leakage, which I know is just something that comes with owning an older Audi (I've had a few))

Thanks guys, Matt.
Attached Images  
Old 12-09-2017, 06:26 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hit the link for a nice read and things to check/think about Things to consider before buying an allroad - QuattroWorld Wiki
Old 12-09-2017, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for that!

I guess another question I have is this: would it be smart to consider getting an extended warranty on the Audi? I mean, obviously it's no longer covered by Audi warranty, but I don't want to end up with a blown turbo or something like that and be out a couple grand...

what are some thoughts on this as well?
Old 12-13-2017, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a same colored green Tigertank.
" I know the 2,7T has been known to be a problem engine..."
No. It is a very stable and reliable engine with enormous performance potential and longevity. But it is not a car for "technical antitalents" who do not notice the small signs of future probs. So, the pre-owner's maintenance and driving habits is especially relevant. You need to get the most possible information about this. Noob mechanics can also do a lot of damage on this engine - or its supporting environment which can cause domino-effect.
116k miles is not much, especially in case of a good owner. You should calculate, however, due to its age and basically hot engine bay, with several minor issues to be fixed. The transmission seal or the lockup clucth wear is the other point. ZF asks to change the transmission oil every 60k kms. Audi writes: "lifetime". Regularly it is not done, and so, failures are common from this or from innappropriate oil change method.
Old 12-17-2017, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you!!

I don't plan on running this car on a shoestring, and will probably use either an Audi service centre, or an audi certified mechanic for any and all servicing.
I've owned a few different Audis with the 4.2 in it over the years, and they've never been a problem. I think the turbos on this just make me a little nervous!!

I really do appreciate your input mate!

Stay safe.
Old 12-17-2017, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The turbos should make you nervous BUT, if the car is in great shape otherwise and let’s say you do need turbos, not the total end of the world, hey and then at least they will be done and you will never worry again. I’ve known owners with both the 2.7 and 4.2, they all loved the cars.i am not a risk taker so I would never buy one. It depends on you and just going in eyes wide open. They certainly are great looking and spacious. I looked at a 2011 A6 wagon loaded, it was very nice as well......lots of room. Good luck!
Old 12-18-2017, 12:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, in this case I would not worry too much about the choice. The FAQ is already less relevant, because it is outdated. Allroads have different problems with ageing, mostly. The youngest AR is already 12 years old, the eldest one (as mine) already 17,5. Compared to a 4.2, you need to calculate with the exchange of a bunch of vacuum and coolant hoses and the compressed air intake hoses, due to ageing and heat / oil exposure. The overhaul is less expensive if you change these together in one phase. Turbo leaks are common and remain undiscovered - and turbos can fail on a longer term.
If you have oil leaks, you may need to put out the engine...
If not, you are relatively lucky but I would change these items precautionally:
- "octopus" engine ventilation hose approx 100 euro . If not done, the clogs (or already is being clogged) and you can refurbish the turbos (labyrinth sealings are pushed out)
- Air intake hoses. I use x-parts, 200 euro. not bad but needed some creativity - beware, aftermarket hoses never exactly match, especially the Y-pipe is false - there you need the oem one. It costs only 14-15 euro and can bear the overdrive to 1 bar for 5 years at me. So do not buy the expensive aftermarket silicon y-hose becauses the have usully inexact sizes / form, stretching everything.
- new secondary coolant fan - or to check and insert new relay at least
- new V-belt tensioner, checking for belt running, esp at aircon sheave. It can be worn and have very sharp grooves.
- install a new after-run pump , plastic cracks and leaves you stranded.
- install a new plastic L-pipe at the thermostatic tap, or better to exchange to an alloy hose one from elder A6 2,4 or 2,8 (from 1997-1999) or from S4, RS4. Plastic also prone to crack due to heat.
- injector cleansing (if demounted) in ultrasonic bath
- Cleansing of radiator. Or better to buy a new one, if possible. ONLY OEM works fine. 42mm wide!
- checking oil/coolant hoses of the turbos. If the are oily, change them. Beware, very costy, esp. the coolant ones. If they fail at driving the leave you stranded in a very oakward way. Engine must be put out to change them. Mine was completely oily at purchase due to serious oil leaks, and I changed all of them to new oem ones. It cost almost as refurbishing the 2 turbos...
Probably the first thing to check on the car prior to purchase, whether they are oily.
​​​​​​​
Regards,
​​​​​​​Laci

Last edited by PetrolBear; 12-18-2017 at 12:24 AM.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by PetrolBear
OK, in this case I would not worry too much about the choice. The FAQ is already less relevant, because it is outdated. Allroads have different problems with ageing, mostly. The youngest AR is already 12 years old, the eldest one (as mine) already 17,5. Compared to a 4.2, you need to calculate with the exchange of a bunch of vacuum and coolant hoses and the compressed air intake hoses, due to ageing and heat / oil exposure. The overhaul is less expensive if you change these together in one phase. Turbo leaks are common and remain undiscovered - and turbos can fail on a longer term.
If you have oil leaks, you may need to put out the engine...
If not, you are relatively lucky but I would change these items precautionally:
- "octopus" engine ventilation hose approx 100 euro . If not done, the clogs (or already is being clogged) and you can refurbish the turbos (labyrinth sealings are pushed out)
- Air intake hoses. I use x-parts, 200 euro. not bad but needed some creativity - beware, aftermarket hoses never exactly match, especially the Y-pipe is false - there you need the oem one. It costs only 14-15 euro and can bear the overdrive to 1 bar for 5 years at me. So do not buy the expensive aftermarket silicon y-hose becauses the have usully inexact sizes / form, stretching everything.
- new secondary coolant fan - or to check and insert new relay at least
- new V-belt tensioner, checking for belt running, esp at aircon sheave. It can be worn and have very sharp grooves.
- install a new after-run pump , plastic cracks and leaves you stranded.
- install a new plastic L-pipe at the thermostatic tap, or better to exchange to an alloy hose one from elder A6 2,4 or 2,8 (from 1997-1999) or from S4, RS4. Plastic also prone to crack due to heat.
- injector cleansing (if demounted) in ultrasonic bath
- Cleansing of radiator. Or better to buy a new one, if possible. ONLY OEM works fine. 42mm wide!
- checking oil/coolant hoses of the turbos. If the are oily, change them. Beware, very costy, esp. the coolant ones. If they fail at driving the leave you stranded in a very oakward way. Engine must be put out to change them. Mine was completely oily at purchase due to serious oil leaks, and I changed all of them to new oem ones. It cost almost as refurbishing the 2 turbos...
Probably the first thing to check on the car prior to purchase, whether they are oily.

Regards,
​​​​​​​Laci
This is an awesome response, thanks for sharing it! Definitely something for a new owner to look into before purchasing an AR.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 142 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by harrism315
Thanks for that!

I guess another question I have is this: would it be smart to consider getting an extended warranty on the Audi? I mean, obviously it's no longer covered by Audi warranty, but I don't want to end up with a blown turbo or something like that and be out a couple grand...

what are some thoughts on this as well?
Unlikely that you'll be able to find an extended warranty to cover a car of this vintage... put the money in the bank for the unexpected repair...
Old 01-05-2018, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 142 Likes on 115 Posts

"Am I making a good choice?"

Funny question to ask when considering the purchase of an allroad.

If you were coming from an Acura or something similar, I'd say "run away."

On the other hand, you indicate that you've owned other Audis, and you know what you're getting into...

The allroad is a wonderful platform, highly modular and upgradeable. It can be a huge PITA, with some weak spots. That having been said, most parts, even the consumables (turbos, air shocks, air compressor, etc.) typically last a good long time. Replace them when they fail and motor on. I've done the front bags and compressor on my allroad, using new OEM parts, will continue to fix stuff as needed...