Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Am I normal?...read the rest BEFORE you answer!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Am I normal?...read the rest BEFORE you answer!!

I go out to lunch today, while I'm gone it starts to rain. Upon returning to the office, I pull back into the parking garage and dry my car. Not a full chamois dry, but a quick wipedown so it doesn't spot. A colleague sees me and goes on and on about how that's not normal this...**** that..blah blah... So I tell him about the mini interior detailing kit I keep in the car and use almost every day, he goes nuts. Anyway, the car was just washed Sunday..surely some of you would do the same? BTW..my colleagues car, a mid 90's Camry that hasn't been washed in ages.
Old 01-11-2006, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats so great about normal?

--I've done what you describe. crazy? no. Passionate? yes
Old 01-11-2006, 11:47 AM

Default Not sure it's normal, but....

also not sure I'd want to run any chamois or towel across a car that now has road debris on it. Even if you drove it a short distance, there has to be dirt on the car that is now acting like ultra-fine snadpaper as you run your chamois across the paint. And every raindrop has some debris in it too. But still better than a filthy Camry. There are detailing sprays you can get to help though. Try Griots or some of the high end detailing supply places. I gave up being that **** when the kids started eating ice cream cones in the car.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Detailing spray

I actually have some I use with my clay bar....perhaps I'll try that.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: whats so great about normal?

Totally agree with you and after seeing your imaculate allroad, I will agree even more
Old 01-11-2006, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Third rule says: Never dry a car you didn't just finish washing. The spotting will be minor compared

to the scratches and swirls you'll induce doing that.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: whats so great about normal?

thanks schumi -- ever get that washer reservoir fixed?
Old 01-11-2006, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default If that's wrong, then I don't wanna be right!!!

Don't let the owner of some filthy Toyota tell you what's what; an Audi allroad (especially a recently cleaned one) deserves a different level of care. I always carry some quick detail spray to deal with the fallout of our feathered friends, and I've also done the post-rain cleanup, but with a water blade instead of a chamois. You are not alone!!!
Old 01-11-2006, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

cool..the expert weighs in! any thoughts on using detailing spray?
Old 01-11-2006, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Ok I'll be the first to say -- not normal for ME

I've had a few new cars that I babied like that (not quite wiping it dry after a drive in the rain, but kept in very clean condition if at all possible). In the end, when I sold them, it did nothing for resale. Mileage is a bigger factor there.

But I like to buy used cars from owners like you. My car sits outside...exposed to the elements. It normally wears a nice layer of dirt/sand/sludge from a trip in the Colorado Rockies. I try to run it through a carwash every two weeks to keep the underbody clean and get it looking clean. But I use the opposite logic when I'm getting ready to wash it. Why considering that it is Wednesday already and I'll be headed up to the mtns on Friday, Saturday, and/or Sunday?

In my garage is a track car that doesn't see much of the natural elements...mostly rubber kicked up from other cars on the track or dirt/grass from any off track incidents.

Quick Reply: Am I normal?...read the rest BEFORE you answer!!