Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Annoying Check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 06:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Annoying Check engine light

Annoying Check engine light

I don't know if I am too sensitive but I have owned my Allroad about 8 weeks and I have had Check engine light on at least five times. It always goes off after few days!

Light came on two-thee times day after filling gas tank.
Twice when I was accelerating with full throttle from road toll station ( nice feeling )

Am I just too sensitive but if check engine light comes on just for information, it should tell what is this minor problem. In other cars usually check engine light means that something should be done.
I hate when I take friends to my "new" 40.000 + car and they see check engine light and start to ask if I have a problem with my new car. They drive with 15000 chevy and they do not have check engine light on.

Should I buy Vag-com just to reset check engine light?

What kind of problem can cause check engine light to come on? I have understood from you guys, that it can be for example open gas cap or miss spark etc. minor thing . What else can cause steady check engine linght?
Old 10-27-2004, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Check engine light can appear for many different reasons, from a loose gas cap to an engine failure.

My light has been on twice in the past year. Once it was flashing (which is when it is something serious) for a bad coil pack and the other time it came on with the ESP and ABS light for a bad brake relay. I'd suggest that if you plan on keeping the car for a while, you get the VAG-COM as it will give you answers as soon as the light comes on. Also, the VAG-COM can be used for a number of other things other than just checking error codes...
Old 10-27-2004, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Check engine light can appear for many different reasons, from a loose gas cap to an engine fail

I purchased an allroad in August and my CEL was behaving very similar to yours. I brought my car to autozone and they pull codes for free. Mine is an OPDII P0431 Warm up Catalyst Below Threshold Bank 2 error. Trolling through the list looks like it could be O2 sensors, cat converter, coil pack, MAF sensor. I don't have a vag-com yet (after the holidays) so am going to bring it to my local dealer (IRA Audi) for final diag.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Its 5 times too many for 8 weeks.

1 time for the gas cap is OK.. tighen it and it clears. but the other are a call to the dealer.
Sorry.. probably bad preppeing. Yell at your Sales guy.. its his territory for not watching it.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default When the CEL comes on, does it go away? Does it flash for a moment and then dissapear?

I was under the assumption that if the CEL came on or flashed, that it could only be re-set by the dealer and would stay on until properly reset. If it is comming on periodically, then turning off, are those codes stored?
Old 10-27-2004, 09:35 AM

Default CEL light just comes on and one morning it is gone

I have not seen any flashing.

Unfortunatelly I do not have Vag-com to see error codes. If they exist!
Old 10-27-2004, 10:53 AM

Default There is a problem with your car.

With that being said all the used allroads I looked at when I bought mine had various stored faults. My check engine light was caused by both a temp sender and fuel level senders. Both common problems with these cars.
Old 10-27-2004, 11:52 AM

Default Re: Annoying Check engine light

Ditto for me.

Ever since I bought this car about 8 weeks ago, my CEL has come on. In fact, it lit up on the way home from picking it up on day one!! It has always gone off after a day or so (or three consecutive no-fault trips I believe is what Audi says in their literature). In total, it has gone on and off probably 4 times.

I've had it back at the dealer once since then (to also get a state inspection), and they said it had two codes... one for the catalytic converter bank #2 and the other for the torque converter. Of course, rather than go further with the diagnosis, they just reset them, did a Readiness Test, and sent me on my way.

Two days ago, it came back on again... but it has yet to go off. It appears that it is now steady.

I've made an appt. for Monday to have the codes read and to have it fully diagnosed. I've specifically asked the Service Rep to have the Tech actually work on diagnosing and correcting the problem. I live an hour away from the dealer... and I don't have the time or the patience to keep having this MIL show up.

I wonder if Audi subcontracted with Bill Gates on this portion of the car? If the MIL was a blue screen, I'd definitely believe it!! :-)

I'll update everyone as to what happens on Monday.
Old 10-27-2004, 12:38 PM

Thank you, I made appointment for Tuesday. Lets see what they will find out!
Old 10-27-2004, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default i have read on board that your problem is caused by the precats not working efficiently and audi

wrote a new program that will ignore the fact that the precats(warmup catalyst) are not working correctly and will not trigger cel anymore. cheaper then replacing exhaust components iirc.

Quick Reply: Annoying Check engine light