Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

any place to go offroading on cape cod

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 07:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any place to go offroading on cape cod

im going to cape cod, wellfleet to be exact, in about 2 weeks and im looking for some place to go off road in my allroad. i ahve already worn out all the power lines and trails on Long Island, my ar needs some variety in her trails. thanks
Old 07-21-2004, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hop onto the Steamship Ferry (Hyannis) and go to Nantucket...lots of beaches...

but...you'll need a day pass for the oversand vehicle permit etc (OSV).

As for the rest of the Cape..I'm not sure. Maybe you can find out if there are beaches/sandy areas in Falmouth etc...that allow SUV's etc.

Good luck!!

-ted (from Mass)
Old 07-21-2004, 10:25 AM

Default Re: Hop onto the Steamship Ferry (Hyannis) and go to Nantucket...lots of beaches...

thanks man ill check out nantucket, do you know how much those OSV passes are
Old 07-21-2004, 10:34 AM

Default Nauset beach from Orleans to Chatham...

You need to get a permit...
Old 07-21-2004, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You'll never get on the Ferry this time of year without a reservation.

Even if you did it is a couple hundred bucks round trip to bring your car over. I suspect Teddy was just being funny. Its probably not realistic to head to Nantucket just to do some offroading.

It would probably be cheaper/easier to just hop on the ferry or a prop plane from Hyannis and rent a wrangler in Nantucket. They already ahve the sticker (at least they did some years ago) to you can just beat the snot out of it for a day and turn it back in.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:37 AM

Default Re: You'll never get on the Ferry this time of year without a reservation.

thats true, i didnt know it was that much, shows what us new yorkers know lol
Old 07-21-2004, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm a Marylander - not a M*******.

(Just joking Teddy!)

I worked on Nantucket for a summer back in college.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:41 AM

Try Ducksbury. Dune pass is around $100.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default allroad probably doesn't qualify for oversand permits, but...

if you really want to check it out...

I mostly know the areas past Orleans. Somebody else can chime in about the areas of the cape from Bourne to Brewster.

Orleans: Oversand from Nauset Beach to the Inlet.
I don't think an allroad will qualify for a sticker, but call the Orleans Town Hall/Parks and Rec Dept weekdays to get exact details. Tech inspection and a $150ish fee paid at the VFW to get a sticker.

Provincetown: Oversand "Cape Cod National Seashore-Race Point". This is a federal park. Access and inspections at Race Point Beach Ranger Station. I highly doubt an allroad will qualify for a permit (even though I personally think they would work just fine). Need taller ratio tire than stock, and full-sized spare (no hokey inflatable), jack, plywood board, tire guage, tow rope...You won't have enough sidewall left on a stock tire at the required sub 15lbs of pressure. Most Jeeps, Explorers, SUVs/Pick-ups qualify. Go to the US Parks Service (Department of the Interior?) for a pointer to the equipment list, rules and regs (speed limits, wildlife protection). $50ish for a 1week permit. Seasonal permits already sold out. (Don't try it without a permit. The rangers will rip you a new one if they catch you; worse still if you get stuck).

Wellfleet: Lieutenant's Island. Not accessible at high tide. Some dirt/sandy sections of road. This island is inhabited, so no crazy driving. Good for a scenic 15 minute loop to check out vacation cottages, then back over the slippery wooden bridge.

Wellfleet: Gross Hill Rd/Gull Pond. Gull Hill to Schoolhouse Hill Rd. to somewhere in the woods?. This is a really neat drive through the woods (part of Cape Cod National Seashore). It shows up on maps.yahoo.com but it is narrow and looks like a private driveway; barely one lane. Half the fun is getting lost back there and finding the hidden ponds. Shhhh...don't tell anyone.

Wellfleet: BeachComber Bar and Grill parking lot on Cahoun Hollow Rd. OK, maybe it's not really a drive. But the food is good and it's right on the beach. Live bands at night.

These latter 3 are fun diversions, but not anything that will challenge your allroad's capabilities.

Don't despair. There's plenty else to do on the Cape. Bring bicycles and you can arrive at the head of various bike paths in style. And you will leave more room on the beaches for my family. ;-)
Old 07-21-2004, 12:18 PM

I have a 2003 Ducksbury permit on my allroad.

Quick Reply: any place to go offroading on cape cod