Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Anyone go from an S4 to an Allroad?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone go from an S4 to an Allroad?

My S4 Avant was in a nice accident last night and I would guess there is a 70% chance it will be totalled.

Anyone care to compare the S4 to the Allroad?
Old 01-29-2004, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I did the A4 avant to A6 to allroad.

Must more space, more luxury, compared to an S4 it will be a little bit slower. It will still have that turbo kick you gotta love though. The extra space is great to have. I fit a 32 inch TV in box along with a dog bed, a bag of dog food, and 3 people. Gotta love the utility.
Old 01-29-2004, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Daphne, lots of us have or still own both. Sorry about your accident!
Old 01-29-2004, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Anyone go from an S4 to an Allroad?

first off... sorry about the accident. i feel your pain.

i have never owned a s4, but i looked at them when i was considering the ar. quite frankly, at the time i really wanted one of those over the ar, but the size of the vehicle was the killer for me. ultimately, i think most people would agree that the s4 is a better drive, clearly superior to an ar in all sporty aspects.

that said... the ar is a whole lot more comfortable, and waaaaay better prepared for most conditions except to drive down a windy road at high rates of speed.

if you don't need the interior space and aren't into the snow, mountains, etc. i would probably stick to the s4.
Old 01-29-2004, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Daphne... I've seen you on the S4 board...

Sorry about the hit...I looked at the S4 Avant prior to gettting the allroad... I needed the room. While the ar handles well, its not the same as the s4..there are trade offs, more room..more weight.. adjust the height..get better rubber... you will love the engine...the 2.7t is 260 HP stock, and APR just came out with the chip, GIAC has one for some of the ECU's... Upsolute too. The 6 speed is the way to go IMHO..it takes great advantage of the power. The ar is a real sleeper of the Audi line... go for it.
Old 01-29-2004, 09:53 PM

Default Doing it now.

I need the extra room, so my tip S4 Avant is for sale. Bought a used six-speed allroad three months ago. If you don't need a real back seat and the extra cargo space of the allroad, stick to an S4, IMNSHO. The allroad is 4150 lb to the S4' Avant's 3700. Suspension parts are limited to sway bars, though firmer shocks would really help. You'll spend a lot of money (I am) to get the handling to approximate a stock S4 Avant. OTOH, if you need a real back seat and more cargo space, the allroad is a fine quattro turbo wagon.

-df
Old 01-30-2004, 03:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Insurance companies will try hard to avoid being totaled

You need to let them know that you will fight and push for a diminution of value. If you are close to being totaled, you may look in the yellow page for a car appraiser who specializes in diminution in value, pay something like $200 for an appraisal of the diminished value, and tack on the diminished value to the repair cost, and then say you want it totaled. It is not an easy fight, and takes a lot of energy.

Good luck.
Old 01-30-2004, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I have both.

2001 S4 6spd sedan, and a 2004 allroad tip. S4 is much more sporty of a car and handles better, but the allraod does pretty well for a bigger car.
Old 01-30-2004, 09:42 AM

Default Yep 00 S4 -> 02 allroad

Very happy to have done it too - no regrets at all. More space, more comfort, better interior, much more versatile. Yes, the S4 was faster in a straight line, and around corners on perfect roads. But, for the other 95% of the roads, I find the extra compliance in the ar is actually a benefit. With better tires (currently using Falken 512 UHP A/S) it's truly amazing what this car can do. In one week last year I did a street solo event, drove to the top of a 7500' mountain, and towed a car trailer. Hard to beat that.
Old 01-30-2004, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator

OK, car not totalled...back to your regularly scheduled programming

Quick Reply: Anyone go from an S4 to an Allroad?