Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

anyone tried to put all-terrain tires on their allroad, what sizes did you find?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2002, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone tried to put all-terrain tires on their allroad, what sizes did you find?

what is the largest tire that could be installed without a lot of rubbing problems ( diameter, width, etc).I know 27" diameter will work, anybody able to get tires in the 28"/29" diameter range to work? I am planning on different rims and tires altogether. I haven't decided on 19"/20" or exactly what design yet, although the Fiske wheels are looking promising for the street application. I am think that I will keep the old 17's and put all-terrains on them for those getting back to nature weekends.
Any information will be greatly appreciated. thanks,and have a great day. :^)
Old 07-31-2002, 05:25 AM
HPH
AudiWorld Super User

Default I've been curious about this, too.

Although an exact size match doesn't seem possible, I'd think that the Audi 16" (winter) wheels would be even better for this application than the stock ones, because they'll allow for an extra 1/2" of sidewall. (I'd be surprised if there are any other 16" wheels that will fit over our big brakes.) Then you've got three, sets, of course, but the 17" ones do fine in winter with M2s or something similar on them.

The thing that's kept me off jeep roads more challenging than the easy ones I've been on is concern about the tires. I'm currently running Pilot Sport A/Ss, so I'm not worried about traction and so on. Rather, it's the sidewall ruggedness that's got me concerned. HPH
Old 07-31-2002, 07:22 AM

Default For off-road you want a higher aspect ratio - 16" wheels would be about right.

Keep close to the stock diameter as you need clearences for mud, rocks, etc. I am using Michelin Arctic Alpins mounted on 16" for the winter, and they make a fair off-road combo - better than the stock tire. I would like to try, say, some Wild Country tires on 16" wheels, though. Sure wish the ar had a low range with the TIP!
Old 07-31-2002, 07:25 AM
HPH
AudiWorld Super User

No low range = deficiency, IMHO.
Old 07-31-2002, 08:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: anyone tried to put all-terrain tires on their allroad, what sizes did you find?

After destroying 3 Goodyears, I put some BFG Comp TAs HR4 - 245 50R17 on my car. The BFGs have always been a tough tire for me in the past. The diameter is still 26.7" but the tread is about an inch wider and therefore keeps rocks from scraping the sidewalls and rims. This has to be the largest tire you can put on because every once in a while it scuffs the wheel well. It's also within a quarter inch of the suspension (inside top).
I pump them up full for rough roads which isn't the best for comfort but at least I haven't popped one yet. The lack of a low gear is really the biggest problem since it forces you to go too fast up steep hills.
Old 07-31-2002, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default if you go down to a 16" wheel you will find more tires available.

I used AT Italia S5s 16" wheels for my winter setup. While I wouldn't consider Blizzaks really off-road tires they do have an open tread design and do offer very good grip in loose stuff (and excellent in heavy winter crud).

Link to article I posted on the ATs&Blizzaks below with pics of tread pattern and wheels.

fj..<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/allroad/msgs/15702.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/allroad/msgs/15702.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 07-31-2002, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

I wish there was a low range offered in the US period!
Old 07-31-2002, 11:55 AM
HPH
AudiWorld Super User

Default You make a very important point:

"Same-sized" tires are not. My 245/50-17 Michelins don't rub, nohow. But the fact that the BFGs do, even just a little, is probably why the dealers don't recommend putting this size on allroads.

This is too bad, because I really like this size in the Pilot Sport A/Ss -- not only do they handle well and so on, but they look good. The 225 width just doesn't look, well, wide enough. HPH
Old 04-30-2017, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I put 215/65/16 General Grabber AT2's on my allroad.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by quattro0001
what is the largest tire that could be installed without a lot of rubbing problems ( diameter, width, etc).I know 27" diameter will work, anybody able to get tires in the 28"/29" diameter range to work? I am planning on different rims and tires altogether. I haven't decided on 19"/20" or exactly what design yet, although the Fiske wheels are looking promising for the street application. I am think that I will keep the old 17's and put all-terrains on them for those getting back to nature weekends.
Any information will be greatly appreciated. thanks,and have a great day. :^)
A T 215\65R\16 Yokohomo geolandar

Quick Reply: anyone tried to put all-terrain tires on their allroad, what sizes did you find?