Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Anyone try Microlon?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone try Microlon?

A friend of mine put Microlon additive in his S4 (2.7T) when he went to Mobil 1 syn. Claimed it improved his mileage 5-10%. The guy's not out to lunch, masters' in engineering and flys a Yak 55 radial engine plane, says practically everyone in aerobatics seem to put this stuff in their aircraft. BTW I'm not trying to plug the product, just wondering if I should try it or not.
Old 03-25-2004, 05:21 AM
HPH
AudiWorld Super User

Default My experience...

...was not negative except for the expense. I don't do it any more.

Microlon may be the best of the teflon additives, and they claim to have significant research to back up their assertions. Originally developed for aircraft engines, it seems to be a suspension of really small (micro) teflon particles in a highly volatile hydrocarbon that's designed to burn off. There are both oil and gas additives; the treatment process is to use both simultaneously 500 miles or so before an oil change and immediately go on a long trip and then do the oil change.

I used it on several cars back in the '80s; at that time it was available only through individuals who were dealers (my guy lived in a subdivision that had its own airstrip, and he was clearly selling most of his product to airplane people). Each car I did cost something like $150 to do (for just the product). I still have a WD-40 like spray can of the stuff I use on occasion.

Your friend may have a master's degree, but he didn't do a controled experiment -- how does he know it wasn't the Mobil 1 that improved his mileage?

For my part, I finally quit using it several Audis ago, mostly because of the hassle of finding the stuff (the guy I was getting it from died and I couldn't find another dealer nearby).

I will say it did no harm, either in my cars or the lawnmower I treated with it. HPH
Old 03-25-2004, 06:39 AM
trg
AudiWorld Senior Member

You put it in your lawnmower? Shades of Tim Taylor...
Old 03-25-2004, 07:45 AM
HPH
AudiWorld Super User

Yeah, I had some left over one time. Didn't seem like I should drink it.
Old 03-25-2004, 02:08 PM

Default Feedback from the perpetrator...

Question:

"How did you come to the conclusion that Microlon increased milage in the S4, how quantified? Could you isolate the effect of Mobil 1 and engine run - in from the Microlon?"

Answer:

"Ah Microlon vs Synthoil -

The car (S4) was running Synthoil from Day 1. So I was gathering mileage records
in a little black book ... I did not Microlon it until it had its 5kmile
oil change. By the log book, mileage then increased. I'll see if I kept
the book, but may not have kept it ..."

You can still get the stuff on line. I think the big deal for the radial engine airplane crowd was oil consumption - you know what I mean if you've seen one of these guys cold start.

Oh well. Just had to ask - thanks.