Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Arnott coil over conversion suspension

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dugzy33
here are a couple pics...
Dugzy do you have pics of your car with the arnott coil suspension installed? Wondering about the ride height...thanks!
Old 03-11-2016, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pic with Arnott kit installed

Originally Posted by NEAllroad
Dugzy do you have pics of your car with the arnott coil suspension installed? Wondering about the ride height...thanks!
Here's an example of a 2002 Allroad with the Arnott coil-overs installed. Note I am on my third set of front ones since 2013 (warranty replacements, Arnott's been great on that end.) They seem to fail in extreme cold (below -30C). Ride is acceptable and I haven't had any issue with bottoming out or ride height with the kit installed. As previously noted, the rear rides lower than the front.

Allroad...and canoe by Anson Chappell, on Flickr
Old 03-11-2016, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks man! Ride height is how much lower? Any way to bring the front down to level it off? If not there's a guy making spacers for the rears that should be avail soon...but a tad lower would be nice to close up the wheel gap...
Old 05-14-2016, 10:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

After 144,000 miles on my 2001 audi allroad and dealing with the OEM air-suspension, I decided it was time for a coilover setup. I decided to go with the Blauparts coilovers and installed all 4 myself. Not too bad, except for getting the shock absorber to fit over the bottom control arm in the rear. There isn't much room for error.

So far, I have been driving on them for one week. The ride is close to the air suspension and the turn-in is better. My only complaint is with the front. When rebounding quickly, I hear/feel a clunking sound. I am not sure if this is my aging control arms or the new coilovers. I am going to keep driving on them and hold off on a final opinion until I get a few hundred more miles on the new coilovers.

BTW, the blauparts technician was very helpful on the phone after I finished the installation and asked him a bunch of questions.
Old 05-14-2016, 10:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Once I disconnected the compressor control module, I didn't have to re-program the ECU. All the dash air-suspension lights are off and I don't see any check suspension warning lights on the dash.
Old 05-16-2016, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Eric Vermeire
My only complaint is with the front. When rebounding quickly, I hear/feel a clunking sound. I am not sure if this is my aging control arms or the new coilovers.

BTW, the blauparts technician was very helpful on the phone after I finished the installation and asked him a bunch of questions.
I swapped over to Blau about a month ago. I have no noise from the front end(I did before the swap), but I also changed all of the front control arms at the same time. The lower, rear bushing gets pretty beat up. I was able to move mine 6" forward and backward.

And yes, their customer service is excellent!
Old 05-16-2016, 12:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am also considering it might be the control arms. I did neglect fixing my air suspension for a long period of time and would be driving the car with a near flat front suspension.

I did have to change the passenger-side lower front control arm, as one of the bushings was completely blown out. Visual inspection of the other control arms looked fine. I do plan to re-inspect in a week or two after my break-in period is complete. I hope it is not a problem with the Blau coilovers.
Old 05-16-2016, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

A visual inspection won't tell the whole story. You really need to check for excessive "slop". I bought the cheap Amazon.com kit, and it worked out great.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Eric Vermeire
Once I disconnected the compressor control module, I didn't have to re-program the ECU. All the dash air-suspension lights are off and I don't see any check suspension warning lights on the dash.
I disconnected the control module, and I still have the light on the dash. Anyone have any tips for this?
Old 01-11-2018, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default What shocks can I use to repair arnott coil overs. Used Allroad 179xxx miles.

Originally Posted by MrKid
A visual inspection won't tell the whole story. You really need to check for excessive "slop". I bought the cheap Amazon.com kit, and it worked out great.
No

Quick Reply: Arnott coil over conversion suspension