Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Brake lights won't turn off even with the car turned off

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 02:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake lights won't turn off even with the car turned off

Hello AudiWorld users!

I have a problem with my Audi Allroad: about 3 weeks ago there were torrential rains and I thought "I'm in an Allroad" so I raised the suspension and had a fun time driving the car in the water-filled streets of Guatemala City.

I parked and thought the car was a great beast but then I noticed the break lights were on even with the car turned off. I got into the car and pushed the break pedal several times but they didn't go off. I lowered and raised the car several times and drove it around a little (when the streets were dry) but the break lights didn't turn off. I had to remove the break light fuse so the battery wouldn't drain during the night.

Next day I replaced the fuse and the break lights turned on again, so I decided to remove the fuse during the day and wait until the car would be completely dry. It was a sunny sunday and I left the hood open so all the heat and air would dry the engine and all the components around it.

Next day, I turned on the car without the fuse and immediately after pressing and releasing the brake pedal, several dashboard lights came on:

- ABS
- The lower/raise suspension light
- The ESP light

Several sunny days have come and gone since then, but I still have the problem. I'm driving around without the brake fuse so I have no brake lights, and all the above mentioned dashboard lights are still on. When I replace the brake fuse, the brake lights stay on even with the car turned off, but the dashboard lights don't turn on.

Have you experienced something like this? How do I fix it?

Thank you!
Old 07-20-2015, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need a new brake light switch which is on the pedal. Don't think rain had anything to do with it, just a coincidence.
Old 07-20-2015, 04:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Wow, that was fast! Thanks a lot for your reply and for the ebay link 6v/cyl. I will check with the local Audi dealer to see if they have the switch in Guatemala at a reasonable price (ebay lists them for about $18).

My Audi is a diesel model but Ebay only shows the US models (2.7 and 4.7 L). I guess the diesel model should use the same part as it´s not engine related?

Another light than went on in the dashboard at the same time was the diesel PRE-HEAT light. This one will flash intermitently wheter I push the brake pedal or not. Do you think the brake light switch is also the cause of this light flashing?
Old 07-21-2015, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by svsanchez
Wow, that was fast! Thanks a lot for your reply and for the ebay link 6v/cyl. I will check with the local Audi dealer to see if they have the switch in Guatemala at a reasonable price (ebay lists them for about $18).

My Audi is a diesel model but Ebay only shows the US models (2.7 and 4.7 L). I guess the diesel model should use the same part as it´s not engine related?

Another light than went on in the dashboard at the same time was the diesel PRE-HEAT light. This one will flash intermitently wheter I push the brake pedal or not. Do you think the brake light switch is also the cause of this light flashing?
No problem. I didn't link to ebay. Guessing Google or some other internet thing did that. I'd go for genuine Audi or quality OEM equivalent. Preferably German made, and not China made.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:40 PM
Former Vendor

I agree, definitely sounds like a bad brake switch. Not sure what year your Allroad is but here are some possible replacement brake light switches.

https://www.carpartsdiscount.com/bra...html?3594=2350
Old 08-05-2015, 11:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hello, my Brake Pedal Switch finally arrived from the US today!!!

I will try to install it tomorrow, and in order to do that I searched for instructions on the internet. Among the instructions I found, there was a VW video in Youtube saying that the latest brake pedal switches are GREEN, and that with these it doesn't matter if you install it wrong, you can try installing and uninstalling it several times without braking it. It also said that with previous pedal switches you would have to push the brake pedal in order to install it correctly and not damaging it.

Although the video was for a VW brake pedal switch, I'm worried as my switch is BLACK and I'm scared about braking it if I don't install it correctly. Is the black switch going to brake if I don't install it correctly the first time? Do I have to push the brake pedal at the time of installing it?

This is the video I found:

If someone could point me to an Audi video or detailed photo instructions I would greatly appreciate. The Audi instructions with photos that I found was missing the most important photo about getting to the pedal switch.

Cheers!

Last edited by svsanchez; 08-05-2015 at 11:55 PM.