Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Buying All-season Tires: Nokian WR, Pilot A/S, Falken Ziex?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 10:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying All-season Tires: Nokian WR, Pilot A/S, Falken Ziex?

I've read through a lot of posts (searching for tire in the allroad section gives 3,000+ threads) about different tires for the allroad, and recognize that this is a rehash of many prior posts. There is clear consensus that for all-season use, the Nokian WRs, Michelin Pilot A/Ss, and the Falken Ziexs are the board favorites, at least with oem rims.

So, I live in NYC and drive 10K miles per year. My snow driving is limited to 3-5 trips to Vermont over the winter to my family's place which has a pretty steep road. I have found the stock Goodyears to be a disaster on that road unless it has been well plowed and sanded. Otherwise, I drive on pavement and probably do more summer driving than winter driving.

Since I live in an apartment, having dedicated snows doesn't really work for me. I want a tire that will be good in snow, but still perform well for the rest of the year (good handling, not too loud).

All three of these tires sound excellent. I'm leaning Nokian (but I'm worried too noisy on pavement) or Pilot A/s (a couple of posts indicated that these wear out and Nokian salesguy said they are not so good in snow).

Any thoughts before I pull the trigger?
Old 11-01-2004, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nassau County to GWB to NJ.....DAILY and back.

I use the Falken's. I get great wear from them...25-30k+, they are less than $100.00 and I have had no problem with them dry, wet or snow.
Old 11-01-2004, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I prefer dedicated snow tires. But is you want a tire that will do it all?

The Nokians will be better in the snow.
The MPS will be better on the nonsnow.
I got 20K out of my MPS.
I would buy them again.
I recently put on my winter Nokian RSi and they are very nice for a snow tire. Handle well but more noise than a summer or all season tires (as expected) with there aggressive tread design.
Hope this helps.
Old 11-01-2004, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I installed the Nokian WRs last week...

Live in Rockland County, NY. Love 'em. They are very quiet....especially compared to the stock crap. I did a lot of research on the tires before I bought them and decided to go with the Nokians because of the amount of miles I put on my car driving to CT every day and wanted to be prepared for bad weather.

They suffer a little on hard cornering at high speeds...definately do not handle like a summer tire and high-performance all-season, but they are great tires. I wouldn't worry about noise, they do not sound like winter tires at all. Nice and smooth. Looking forward to some bad weather to really try them out.

I went Nokians because I figured I'd use them for the winter and if it turns out I don't like them in dry/warm weather, I'll get a pair of Falkens for the other three seasons.

Just be sure to road force balance whatever you put on...

Here is a decent review of the Nokians:<ul><li><a href="http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/hl/nokian.htm">http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/hl/nokian.htm</a</li></ul>
Old 11-01-2004, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Nice write up!
Old 11-01-2004, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Paul...you pass just by me....

I live on 173rd street west of Fort Washinghton avenue in NYC. My building is just above the Hudson parkway....Not so for long...moving to Milford area PA (Pike county) by end of December (this is when I am getting my AR4.2). Where in NJ do you go?
Old 11-01-2004, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

thanks.
Old 11-01-2004, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Elizabeth.. RT 1/ Nwk Airport area.
Old 11-01-2004, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

check out the conti extreme contacts too.
Old 11-02-2004, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Everything is a compromise. The Nokians are a good compromise from my experience.

Quick Reply: Buying All-season Tires: Nokian WR, Pilot A/S, Falken Ziex?