Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Buzzing noise coming from the rear, especially when cold...

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buzzing noise coming from the rear, especially when cold...

It's not constant, but I hear it every few minutes... It's not the suspension compressor, because when I change levels, I can hear it, and it makes a different noise... Anyone ever have a noisy fuel pump or anything like that somwhere in the back of their AR's?
Old 04-05-2004, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Actually, the suspension compressor doesn't run when you change levels....

... sort of. In practice, it runs only when the pressure in the air tank falls below a certain range (interesting note: the compressor, in an effort to be unobtrusive, is designed to NOT run when the car is traveling less than 15 MPH, unless the tank pressure falls below a second, lower threshold).

The system uses air pressure all the time - not only when the car changes levels but also when the suspension is in normal operation more (eg, as it adjusts itself to different loads). All this while, the system uses existing air pressure in the reserve tank (which is also tucked back there on the driver's side rear). The compressor is simply designed to top the tank off when necessary (as described previously).

So - all in all, I'd be willing to bet that it is your air compressor that's buzzing... it's just one of those things that you need another AR owner to hear it to be able to say "Yup - that's your compressor, dude."

(shrug) HTH.
Old 04-05-2004, 04:50 PM

Default All the time...

always assumed it was the compressor. Noticed it running more often/longer in temps below freezing. Dealer could not reproduce the sound, so couldn't diagnose it.