Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

call for help after timing belt replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 11:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default call for help after timing belt replacement.

Hi everyone. Just did the timing belt following the ecstuning instruction, which came with the belt set. But after TDC and lock the crank bar, try to put in the crankshaft locking pin ( this step skipped by many people like this guy http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...IY-no-lock-bar), but is really hard to reach it, even finally taking off the plug, still can't screw in the locking tool. Then decide to skip to do this step. So now everything has been put back, just wonder any chance the timing is not correct? since one reason can't screw in the pin, might be wrong position of the crankshaft, if that is true, will it damage the engine if I start up now? how can I check to make sure the timing is correct? any input will be appreciated. btw, anyone in the community live hawaii? like to make a call to discuss. Or anyone like to visit hawaii with free accommodation, I got a guest room for you. Thx
Attached Images  
Old 05-21-2014, 02:14 PM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

There should, at the very least, be marks on the main serpentine belt pulley, which line up with marks on the plastic belt shrouds. If lined up, you shoudl have no problem getting the crank lock pin in. I've only used the crank lock pin when changing the front seals, otherwise I just line it up with the marks.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thx Kris, I don't want to get the lock pin in any more, just want to make sure in this situation, I wont have problem to start up the car, and won't hurt the motor. And yes I marked up and use the locking bar to make sure it is in the right position anyway. Thx for the input again.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Roll it over completely by turning the crank with a wrench. If you can get all the way around twice, there should be no interference.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Don't try to start it, you might ruin the motor, literally.

Rotate by hand until mark on timing belt pulley's mark aligns with timing cover arrow. In this position, the cams should align and lock using cam bar. If it aligns but you can't put the bar on, rotate one more revolution. If your cam bar snaps on now and crank pulley aligns with timing mark, you're golden. If it doesn't, you will have to re-do everything and using crank pin is paramount when you have no idea what you're doing, which is kind of where you are at yourself.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thx Julex,

I have no problem to align the mark on the pulley and cover, and TDC too, cause I did use the locking bar all the time, and very carefully when did the job. only thing I am worried is because I can't put the the crankshaft lock pin in, before I thought it might because the space was limit and I can't rotate the tool efficiently, but after put everything back, another possibility came in to my mind, was not timing good, something block the hole, that is why I can't screw the pin in. So any chance this possibility is real? Thx for your help. Appreciated.

Originally Posted by thejulex
Don't try to start it, you might ruin the motor, literally.

Rotate by hand until mark on timing belt pulley's mark aligns with timing cover arrow. In this position, the cams should align and lock using cam bar. If it aligns but you can't put the bar on, rotate one more revolution. If your cam bar snaps on now and crank pulley aligns with timing mark, you're golden. If it doesn't, you will have to re-do everything and using crank pin is paramount when you have no idea what you're doing, which is kind of where you are at yourself.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Possibly. If you can verify that timing pulley and timign cover mark align when camshafts are locked with cam bar then you're golden.

I would still check cylinder #3 TDC, when car is supposed to be at TDC, with a plunger to ensure that it is indeed at TDC.

And most importantly rotate the engine couple of times BY HAND to ensure there is no interference.

Other than that, use Vag-COM/VCDS once car is running, access engine and open mesuring blocks, 093 and see what you get for timing deviations on both banks. Anything between -6 and 6 (with perfect being "0") is "good enough".
Old 05-26-2014, 11:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default All set and so far so good.

Finally redo the aligning again, make sure interference and start the engine, test drive, seems quite good, Thx all of us selfless support. I think the camshaft lock pin should be wrong, that is why it confused before. As Kris said if don't replace the front seal, don't need the pin, and as mark well, shouldn't be any problem. Timing belt is not an easy job, better have someone experience at least keep an eye for you if you want to do it by yourself, it took me well entire weekend, missed good surf. Good luck.