AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi allroad (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-allroad-18/)
-   -   Chipping Detection Update.. (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-allroad-18/chipping-detection-update-2053886/)

paulroad 02-21-2006 06:18 PM

Chipping Detection Update..

So I talked with Roxanne at Anchor.. who calmly told me a few months ago that I had a "performance Program" in my ECU and that the hesitation should eb checked out by the tuner who installed it.

Today I asked her how it was detected, as we enthusists have been lead to believe that its hard to see.

She said "Hard? we just plug in any VAG tool and without even looking for it the scanner it tells us." How I asked..." She relpied "The digital signature of the stock prgoramming has changed and the scanner looks for this and reports the change as a matter of fact."

So my freinds.. big brother has been watching.. but he has has not been re-acting to what he sees. ....Thankfully.

Misplacedyankee 02-21-2006 06:24 PM

Re: Chipping Detection Update..

Seems strange. Could that just be true of the APR DiPP program? What about when they CPO a chipped car. Surely they would see that during the CPO process?

Ritz 02-21-2006 06:30 PM

I wonder what will tip them off first...

The ECU signature or the dual K04's, or the larger fuel injectors, or perhaps the larger intercoolers, or maybe the ceramic coated exhaust manifolds, or the Milltek exhaust, or the Labree downpipes or....

8-)

TRed 2.7T 02-21-2006 06:31 PM

Hmmmm, maybe change names to protect the innocent....

very interesting info though, that might change my mind on the next Audi I get.

iconoclast 02-21-2006 06:53 PM

curious of the same... why do allow those cars to pass cpo and not replace to stock specs?

Misplacedyankee 02-21-2006 06:57 PM

I figure its got to do with $$$ - they would need to replace the ECU

(or just the chip) at the dealer's expense. Maybe they figure new owner won't figure it out - they can note it in the system (potentially) and then ignore it in the future (ideal scenario)...:)

LI-S4 02-21-2006 07:01 PM

2nd

SeeksAR 02-21-2006 07:06 PM

There's probably a CRC code appended to the ECU EEPROM image when stock.

Is there a CRC on the ECU's PROM? Do the tuners stuff their code to get the same CRC as stock when they program your ECU chip? That's kinda hard to do.

The dealer could check the CRC on the ECU program. It's probably not that hard. (Communications Protocols 101.) They could look up the VIN and its stock CRC and compare to actual reading from VAG tool.

Dealer shouldn't fault you for inheriting the chip, if they CPO'd the car. They should have known if the ECU was modified, and disclosed as much to you before the sale. (I'll quote Ollie North if ever asked how you guys got the extra ooomph, of course.)

I can't wait for the day when the dealer tells me they can't warranty the engine because I turned on the all-windows-down key fob option that modified the ECU.

arob 02-21-2006 07:31 PM

that's why I had my dealer do the reprogramming for me. ;o)

Just ask nicely. ;o)

LCP 02-21-2006 07:49 PM

I think this has been "common knowledge" since a few weeks after APR's EMCS came out.

Of course by "common knowledge" I mean APR knows about it and lots of forum readers know about, but APR isn't going to tell you about it if you don't already know.