Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Clutch/Transmission/Gearbox - Brewing Storm

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Then it might be a faulty way assembled clutch kit (or broken parts within the clutch) possibly not the gearbox I assume. But only an assumption.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Clutch slave cylinder

There is a possibility that the Clutch slave cylinder Connected off line and Constantly presses on the clutch Release bearing.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting, thank you.

Again, the evolution after new clutch was:
1) Leak in similar area to where slave initially failed, brought back, fixed.
2) High pitched, yet faint hum at higher speeds (always there after new clutch, never before, his explanation was "possibly wheel bearing")
3) Glaringly obvious "ZZZzzzzt" sound when downshifting as clutch pedal is depressed (always there after new clutch)
4) Smoky smell (visible smoke shortly after new clutch) for more than 1,000 mi after new clutch.
5) Increased intensity of both 2&3, plus rapid intermittent "zz"/"hmm" out of gear.
6) Essentially afraid to drive as all sounds are loud and as if something is about to fall out of the bottom of the car.
7) Despite all these issues, it sounds closest to normal during acceleration.

FWIW, I notified the mechanic of the "Zzzzt" sound on the downshift before both return visits. Both times he returned the car stating it sounds ok, only for the sound to be unchanged.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Looking at the extreme labor costs and the desperate evasion from the indy plus your "outsider" situation, it might be a solution.. to turn to an independent (judicature) expert to examine the car summarize the findings. That would be a ground prior to further steps and a legal way... In Europe we would do so.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will look into that idea, thanks.

Just spoke to mechanic again. He says that in the two times I brought the car back he did not hear the "zzzzt" sound on the downshift. We went back and forth as to why I think there is something wrong between us if he could not identify a sound even our 4&5 year old children commented on.

That BS aside, he said there were "metal fragments in fluid in the gearbox." he denies that his work on the clutch would have caused any of this and that it is likely due to "wear" and "whatever force was applied via the shifter who was at the helm when the clutch initially failed." ie the garage, as they did nothing to the gearbox during their repair

While this all sounds plausible, I just don't know how to prove it's not, particularly after the fact. What enrages me is that he admitted the sound I was describing to have heard would indicate something was wrong in the gearbox then.

What is impossible to tell now is what damage, if any, the gearbox sustained at the time of the clutch failure. Since the car wasn't drivable at the time, there was no way to tell, and perhaps whoever was driving it in the garage could have forced the clutch when the slave failed. Lastly, he did say when he removed the clutch, despite there being wear left, that it had "completely seized up" and was not usable.

Next communication will be an estimate to replace the gearbox.

Last edited by nyallrhode; 03-11-2014 at 01:04 PM.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Not reliable

Request more diagnosis from someone else
Old 03-13-2014, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Clutch pedal on the floor is a failure of the clutch master or slave cylinder and should not have required clutch replacement.

Those sounds could be clutch, throwout bearing or pilot bearing noises, or possibly a bent fork in the transmission. Any mechanic who let the car go back to you with a leaking slave cylinder and strange noises probably isn't as thorough as he should be.

If the parking garage people tried to shift with no clutch, the noise should have scared them off. There is some metal in every gear box. If the gear lube contains big chunks of metal, there is significant damage.

I'd want an independent, qualified mechanic to determine what's wrong in a forensic disassembly with photographic evidence at every step.