Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Coil Conversion Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure you can crank it up higher, the question is, how much higher up the coil you have to go from the middle of it.

If it's 1 inch, there should be no problem. If it's 2 inches, then I wonder what effect it will have on longevity and handling, as that is probably out of spec.

Originally Posted by lawdogg
I'll let you know in May!
Old 03-31-2012, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Your is fine, it's a non-adjustable coil over set made specifically for the Allroad.

Originally Posted by Pchelka01
Mine is 400mm(accurate) with the strutmasters coil springs, 2 mm less than level 2. is this good?
Old 04-01-2012, 01:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GTA_Driver
I'm sure you can crank it up higher, the question is, how much higher up the coil you have to go from the middle of it.

If it's 1 inch, there should be no problem. If it's 2 inches, then I wonder what effect it will have on longevity and handling, as that is probably out of spec.
Great questions and I wonder the same things. I've never seen a coilover kit that didn't let you put it at stock height or higher, but this'll be my first Audi experience, so I'll be curious to get my hands on it. I am a little baffled at H&R's lack of technical documentation online ... ?
Old 04-01-2012, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Great questions and I wonder the same things. I've never seen a coilover kit that didn't let you put it at stock height or higher, but this'll be my first Audi experience, so I'll be curious to get my hands on it. I am a little baffled at H&R's lack of technical documentation online ... ?
H&R has strange people on the phone. I called them once before several years ago, and the first person to pick up the phone (a receptionist) did not answer my question, kept repeating the same answer, and refused to connect me with someone more technical knowledge.

I swear, we spent no fewer than 5-6 attempts of me paraphrasing the question and her response being the same.

This time around, she couldn't answer my question, and promptly put me to another tech.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

H&R has strange people on the phone. I called them once before several years ago, and the first person to pick up the phone (a receptionist) did not answer my question, kept repeating the same answer, and refused to connect me with someone more technical knowledge.

I swear, we spent no fewer than 5-6 attempts of me paraphrasing the question and her response being the same.

This time around, she couldn't answer my question, and promptly put me to another tech.
Wow! That certainly raises an eyebrow about what is going on.

I poked around the Internets with the part #'s of my set (F46-1001-1/1; R46-1011-1/1) and couldn't find anything but German catalogs. No technical info whatsoever.

Maybe I'll try calling as well. That is so strange.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Any more progress on this?? I have Gen II's with Bilsteins, but I am pretty fed up with the quirks of the whole system as far as how horribly it drives in level I and trying to get all of the corners a the cporrect height through the 402 adaptation process. I am really seriously considering swapping out for coilovers or the Arnott or Blau Parts setups, but it would be perfect if you could get these at something close to level 1-1.5 rather than level II. Any ideas? I wonder if they would consider making a few sets of these with slightly lower springs in them???
Old 05-14-2012, 05:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

So I have the H&Rs on the allroad now. Measuring from the bottom of the shock threads, distances to the bottom of the locking ring of 2" in the back and 2.5" in the front results in 25" rear and 24" front ground to fender heights.

They went on SUPER easily, my only advice is to set the rear height BEFORE installing them since they are next to impossible to adjust once installed. However the fronts are very easy to adjust in-car.

These H&Rs are FANTASTIC on the road. It is very much a street setup, and isn't too stiff which is good considering the lack of damping adjustment.

I would recommend these coilovers to any allroad driver sick of dealing with air ride issues.

Last edited by lawdogg; 05-14-2012 at 05:50 AM.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Have you had the chance to run the new suspension off the road? How does it do, if you've had the chance?
Old 05-24-2012, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Congrats!

So I have the H&Rs on the allroad now. Measuring from the bottom of the shock threads, distances to the bottom of the locking ring of 2" in the back and 2.5" in the front results in 25" rear and 24" front ground to fender heights.

They went on SUPER easily, my only advice is to set the rear height BEFORE installing them since they are next to impossible to adjust once installed. However the fronts are very easy to adjust in-car.

These H&Rs are FANTASTIC on the road. It is very much a street setup, and isn't too stiff which is good considering the lack of damping adjustment.

I would recommend these coilovers to any allroad driver sick of dealing with air ride issues.
Sounds like a good setup! I love H&Rs. Do you have any pictures of how it looks?
Old 05-24-2012, 08:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by EOE4x4
Have you had the chance to run the new suspension off the road? How does it do, if you've had the chance?
No, this is very much an on-the-road suspension.

Sounds like a good setup! I love H&Rs. Do you have any pictures of how it looks?
After I epoxy coated the shock bodies:

Installed with heaps of anti-seize:

Here's how I have it set, forgive the snow tires and stock rims at the moment!

Quick Reply: Coil Conversion Install