Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

CPO warranty work done after transferring warranty to new owner. Generally GOOD NEWS, I think...

Old 02-01-2006, 08:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CPO warranty work done after transferring warranty to new owner. Generally GOOD NEWS, I think...

I posted here a week or so ago re: having as much warranty work done as I could before my CPO goes out in 30 days. Here's a quick update:

1. I had no trouble transferring the CPO warranty for $150 after calling AOA. There was someone who thought you might only have 30 days to do this, but that wasn't the case for me - it's been 90 days since I bought the car, and AOA transferred without hassle.

2. Now for the work done and covered. They were surprised by how many oil leaks they found:

* Child window on/off switch
* New valve cover gaskets, both banks, and adjacent seals
* Tested repairs w/dye in the engine (? pretty cool)
* Front prop shaft seal replaced
* New exhaust sensor (on order)
* Possible secondary brake vacuum pump (tbd after exhaust sensor installed)
* Replaced cam adj seals
* Resealed leaking upper oil pan

3. Not covered:

* Both front outer cv boots thrashed - $300 x 2 = $600 to repair
* Timing belt due in 15k miles or so - $950
* Missing mount point on tranny (?)
* Missing belly pan - $499 - Jennifer said it wouldn't be the end of the world to defer fixing this

Do these costs look reasonable for a dealer repair?

4. I have high regards for Audi of Oakland (CA) based on the quality of service I received from Jennifer Smith. Top notch, straightforward, good communication, trustworthy (or am I just naive?). I'd recommend them as a good dealer option in the East Bay. They sell Porshe as well as Audi, so they seem to know how to deliver high end service. The only downside might be their hourly rate, which I don't yet know...
Old 02-02-2006, 01:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Good news.. how many miles?

If the dealer is working well for you..and it seems they are and the prices is OK by you..stick with it. What does their Timing belt service include for $950?
Old 02-02-2006, 08:22 AM

Default Glad to hear it worked out for you. Nice to hear good dealer stories......

I'm the one who said 30 days. Per my dealer, that's Audi's policy, and I believe it's written into the Audi Assured material. Sounds like Audi has latitude on that and took good care of you.

All the covered leaks are common items.

The other prices seem OK. CV boots at 300 each isn't unreasonable.

As paulroad asked, how many miles on the car now? You could probably wait a while for the timing belt. But when you do it, be sure to do the water pump at the same time. You've already covered the vast majority of the labor to get that far into the engine.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Glad to hear it worked out for you. Nice to hear good dealer stories......

Yeah, I was a little nervous thinking I'd lost the chance to transfer the warranty, but the dealer did all the work without question. And, I actually received a notification from AoA saying the transfer had been completed on the day the car went in for repairs.

So I think I'm safe, and it appears that there is some degree of latitude in the timing of the transfer. Nonetheless, if I were to do it again, I'd make the transfer happen immediately - why risk a problem?!
Old 02-02-2006, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Good news.. how many miles?

I'm at 65k miles.

The technician said I could make 80k before the timing belt would become more critical. The $950 price includes the water pump, timing belt, and one other item (?) that can be done while you have things torn apart in there.

I'm going to get the CV boots done ASAP, and the $300 apiece quote seems reasonable.

Then I'll probably do my first mod, the H-sport sway bars, between now and when I do the timing belt near 80k.

At the same time, I'll likely start shopping for an extended warranty and see if it makes sense to buy one to avoid $$$ issues over the next 4 yrs+.

Of course, I dream of the day when I could do some repairs myself, but I just don't have the time right now!

Thanks again for this forum! An awesome community of people.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 950.00 is a great price for a dealer....

I'd give it a go.. I believe the other item is the cam tensioner.