AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi allroad (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-allroad-18/)
-   -   Dome light above the rear seat stops working (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-allroad-18/dome-light-above-rear-seat-stops-working-2057092/)

allroad2point7t 10-17-2006 01:17 PM

Dome light above the rear seat stops working

Does anyone have this issue with the dome light? Two months ago it was intermittent, now it's completely not on at all when it should be. Double checked the bulbs and they're ok. Any advice?

skidmark 10-17-2006 01:24 PM

I had the same problem, removed light, took apart light, cleaned all connection points of lights,

metal pieces that conduct electricity, or ground inside light, put back in car, worked every time since.

allroad2point7t 10-17-2006 01:29 PM

Request clarification: I'm assuming you meant clean the metal contacts

on the light bulbs and the prongs in the dome assembly?

SKIroad'r 10-17-2006 01:41 PM

I have a similar problem

If I flip the switch to "on" it works, but won't go on when door is opened. The switch is in the proper position to function w/ the door (middle)

skidmark 10-17-2006 01:43 PM

There are removable metal conductors inside(at least 6 or so) that can be removed.

They clip in, and I cleaned those connections too. Take the light apart, and you'll have no problem understanding what needs to be cleaned, or maybe some of the clips that hold the metal rods in need to be tightened.

allroad2point7t 10-17-2006 01:50 PM

the switch is in the neutral position to work with the open doors and

unlock via key fob. Map lights work when switch is pressed. When the main switch is set to on I expect all four bulbs to turn on, but it is not the case. Contacts are clean. Could it be the connection on the assembly within the roof liner? I just want to make sure before I tear into the roof liner. Thanks.

allroad2point7t 10-17-2006 01:55 PM

I've cleaned all metal conductors and contacts but to no avail

do you think it could be the connections of the dome assembly inside the roof liner between the moonroof? I'm tempted to open that up next.

allroad2point7t 10-17-2006 02:10 PM

Update: Dome light above the rear seat stops working

Removed the plastic cover to expose the two main bulbs. Press the middle and index fingers on the recess area to push the entire dome assembly towards direction of the moonroof. Evidently there's a little longitudinal displacement allowed. The dome assembly is not seated tightly as I had thought. After I pushed/nudged the dome assembly forward that seems to resolve the issue. The dome light now turns ON under expected conditions. Now I'm waiting for vibration to knock it out of contact again. Thanks for all your contributions.

skidmark 10-17-2006 02:14 PM

cool

jav 10-18-2006 11:37 AM

For me it's the one in the rear cargo bay.

Open the tailgate and light comes on quite awhile after it's been open.