Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Don't anyone freak out now but... allroadguy has a question...

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2003, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't anyone freak out now but... allroadguy has a question...

Shocker I know....

So I'm thinking of switching from Sprint PCS to Cingular wireless because for $39.99/mo I can get 900 anytime and unlimited night/weekend minutes which begin at 7pm. If I do this I must buy a new phone and will most likely get a <b>V60</b>. If I do that I figured I should pay the extra (absurd) amount and get the <i>Audi</i> V60 - here in lays my question(s)...

- If one purchases the Audi V60 you must specify which provider you want it "programmed" for. It can only be Verizon, AT&amp;T, Alltel or Cingular. While Cingular is probably best for me which do (Californians) think is best?

- Since the Audi V60 must be ordered "pre-programmed" do you know if this means I can't switch to another provider later?

- Lastly, is there anyone here who has the Audi V60? More specifically anyone have it without Telematics (On-Star)? Likes? Dislikes? Anyone? Bueller?

Link to Audi USA on V60 info below.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers!<ul><li><a href="http://collection.audiusa.com/store/accessory.asp?product_id=1510">http://collection.audiusa.com/store/accessory.asp?product_id=1510</a</li></ul>
Old 04-15-2003, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The "pre-programming" is what's called a sim-lock, and some independent cellular dealers have...

...the software to remove that (of course voiding any warranty).
Old 04-15-2003, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm in precisely the same, er, boat as you in this matter. However, I'm going to wait

until this fall to decide what to to - when new laws will obligate carriers to allow you to take your number with you to a new provider.

I really <i>hate</i> to give Audi the $$$$(+$$) for their damned phone, but it's already wired (even the cradle is in the armrest) for it and the voice activation would be nice to have.

On the other hand....a more modern (vs. V60) <i>bluetooth enabled</i> phone might fit the bill as well. The wireless headsets are pretty excellent and such a phone would offer all of those side benefits (including synchronizing with a computer) without the mafia-style pricing by Audi.

When/if I make a change, I'll be hunting for the carrier (if it exists) that has good reception at home <i>and</i> office...most carriers have decent coverage on the freeways these days.
Old 04-15-2003, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Do you know if Audi's V60 is Digital/Analog or just Digital? I'm looking to switch phones myself,

...but am hesitant to give up the Digital/Analog I have now, living here in Colorado where much of the high-country and eastern plains is still analog only service.
Old 04-15-2003, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

What's this "bluetooth" you speak of? I don't understand these things...
Old 04-15-2003, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'll explain when you're ready for your S8...it will be built in.

I really don't know the tech specs, but practically speaking it's a wireless connection technology. Lot's of good info at the link.<ul><li><a href="https://www.bluetooth.org/">Bluetooth®</a></li></ul>
Old 04-15-2003, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AT&T, Cingular and TMobile phones "can" be interchanged, Verizon is a different phone entirely

Like Aldous said, once you unlock it, all GSM phones with SIM chips are interchangeable. Verizon doesn't use a chip and is not GSM, so it's a different phone all together.

Cingular kinda sucks here in LA... I was on it for a long time, had a great number 310-XXX-4000 but gave it up to go to Nextel. Nextel used to suck, but has gotten really good lately, and I also use the Blackberry phone.

AT&amp;T is horrid down here in LA. You can't really beat Verizon, and I'd probably would of gone with them, but I kinda liked the walkie talkie feature of the Nextels.

Dude, sell me your TDI.
Old 04-15-2003, 03:49 PM

Hi Neb!... NO! I'm too attached to the TDI! ;-)
Old 04-15-2003, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Bay Area Coverage: 1- CDMA 800MHz (Verizon/Alltell), 2 TDMA (AT&T), 3 GSM (Cingular)...

1 &amp; 2 (CDMA &amp; TDMA carriers) are very close in digital coverage, but given a choice, I'd pick Verizon over all of them. (I'd never heard of Alltel before, but after looking up their website, I see they offer the same service as Verizon - CDMA tri-band.) Cingular coverage is the worst there is in the bay area... yes, even worse than Sprint! :-P

BUT, if you don't have onstar, I wouldn't bother with the Audi programmed phone... I <i>think</i> it's only useful if you have the onstar armrest phone pre-wiring - I could be wrong!
Old 04-15-2003, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Short range wireless for peripherals... (unlike 802.11x)

Quick Reply: Don't anyone freak out now but... allroadguy has a question...