Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

DRL install (ignition switched) for US --> Canada allroad

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 09:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DRL install (ignition switched) for US --> Canada allroad

Got around to putting in the ignition-switched DRLs to meet Canadian regs on my newly imported US allroad. To avoid comments: I'm not a fan of DRLs, especially if running fogs when it's clear out. It's not that I disagree with the safety aspect, but it makes me more visible to pigs on my 55 km commute. But fogs were the final decision, since I'm definitely not choosing to run the xenons 100% of the time.

What I got was:
- Fogs come on when the ignition is on.
- Fogs on in parking light position.
- Fogs switched on/off normally in headlights position.
- Fogs off with high beams

It's all on the combo light/fog switch - including the parking lights, main front and rear fog circuit (no relay?? 8 amps), and the main headlight circuit (again no relay?? over 10 amps). Once I metered the 10 or so wires to figure it out, I did this (all wires are from the light switch harness):

1.) I connected two SPDT relays ($5 each) in series on the contact side (more below), crazy glued them together and found a nice spot to bolt them (to the right of the combo light switch behind the dash).

2.) Contact side of relays in 16 ga. wire: Spliced into the 12V fog load wire, connect to the relay one contact ("30"), out relay 1 normally closed ("87a") to relay 2 contact ("30"), out relay 2 normally open ("87") to connect to a splice on the fog lead wire.

3.) Relay 1 is wired normally closed, and the coil get's the signal from the headlight lead wire. Thus my new circuit is disabled when the headlights are on, but then I can still switch on fogs with the combo light/fog switch.

4.) Relay 2 is wired normally open, and the coil get's the signal from the ignition on/starter off switched 12V power available on the light switch harness. Thus I get the DRL function whenever the ignition is on, plus this 12V power wire turns off when starting the motor. I unfortunately couldn't just power the fogs from here, since this 12V power wire is also carrying the full headlight amperage.

Important to note that you have to do the K2 fog mod for this to work - otherwise your fogs won't run without the headlights.

I took pictures, I can do a more detailed post and have a full pinout of the U.S. light switch if there is interest.

J

edit:
There is an easier alternative which involves only relay and no K2 fog mod, but it was too late for me to try, so oh well. Basically - follow this in series: run a new 15A fused 16 ga. wire off the switched power stud, connect to normally closed contacts on a SPDT relay ("relay 1" from the above description on this wire, the coil is driven by the headlight lead wire on the light switch). Finally, connect this to the fog lead wire on the headlight switch.
Old 05-28-2006, 06:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Go to the FAQ page and request a post up from the owner of that page

http://www.allroadfaq.com

Might be nice if we see some of them migrating northward or for others who want to retrofit that option...sorry to say I just run with my xenons on...call me stupid but being seen around here is half the battle and that way NO one can say they didn't see me