Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

drove from frisco to salt lake

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2001, 06:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drove from frisco to salt lake

i just got back from my turkey holiday. i drove to utah and back with my ar.
amazing car. at one point i got it to 125 and it felt like 60.she still had more power but i decided to shut it down and go back to 90.i was lookin forward to drivin in snow but the snow came after i got through the mountains. highway 80 through nv is a great road but when u get into ca it is one of the worst stretches of road i have ever driven.(and i thought ca was supposed to be rich). damn with the taxes i pay here you would think the roads would be better. that stretch from nv to auburn is hella funky and dangerous even without snow. ruts, no lines to see at night, narrow, chopped up.in nevada its like being on glass across the whole state, well marked, huge lines reflecting at night and even cuts on the other side of the lines to wake u up if u go over the line.amazing landscape as well. i was on the saltflats in utah cruisin at 90 and a yellow tt passed me like i was standin still. heh heh he was cookin.
Old 11-25-2001, 02:16 PM

Default NEVER, EVER, EVER say "frisco"

Even if you are not a 4th generation Bay Area Californian as I am, one should never refer to the City as "frisco".... It is simply San Francisco or "the City"... The old timers (like my grandparents) would sooner set fire to your AR than allow you to refer to their homeland in such "derogatory slang".... Equate it to someone making fun of Salt Lake City and Mormons - it would surely offend those in that region... "frisco" is equally offensive to San Franciscans...

Agreed, it seems trivial, but ask any Nor Cal native (or not so native)... "frisco" is another "F" word out here... Not to mention the fact that there is also a Frisco, CA.

Clearly I have too much time on my hands (and we won't get into the fact that perhaps I have "issues") but hopefully you find this not-so-official info remotely amusing! 8-)

More Ritalin please!
Old 11-25-2001, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Agree. I thought he meant Frisco, CO. 8^)
Old 11-25-2001, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

uhm.... a little hostile bud? ;^} I thought he ment that sandwich from hardee's....
Old 11-25-2001, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I made the same error years ago. In comparison, allroadguy was being nice - what I got was vicious!
Old 11-25-2001, 09:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nothing personal allroadguy... but...

I think "the city" is a bit "pretentious"... If for whatever reason y'all up there don't like "Frisco"... fine, so be it. But I cringe when I hear San Franciscans refer to their city as "the city"... it's merely "a" city. As Jim Rome calls it... it's not "the city by the bay", it's "a city by a bay".

Can you explain why "Frisco" is bad? Does it mean something I'm not aware of or is it just a pet peeve of SFers?

I don't understand your equating it with making fun of Utah for Mormons. The whole idea of making fun of Utah and Mormons is an uneducated joke directed at a religion. What makes "Frisco" so wrong?

Just curious... hope we're all friends here. :-)
Old 11-25-2001, 10:15 PM

Default Re: NEVER, EVER, EVER say "frisco"

well i was born in frisco my mom and dad were born in frisco so u can eat my shorts.
Old 11-25-2001, 11:09 PM
dwh
AudiWorld Member

Im not from the states but to me its just a shortening of the name, like NYC, not really offensive ?
Old 11-26-2001, 08:41 AM

Default No Worries... 8-)

The "City" (IMO) is just something the "suburbanites" use as a reference point. When I'm in NY I refer to it as the "City" - same when I'm in Seattle, Sydney or Munich. I think it's more "accepted" and used by most people who live in or near a major metropolitan area.... I agree some terminology is a bit pretentious and perhaps "frisco" is a pet peeve for locals - but it is not a shortened version of San Francisco like saying "L.A.". It's just a slang - has no meaning...

Not sure where this derives from historically... I think it has more to do with pride. And perhaps correct pronunciation (reference); For example most in the state of Illinois cringe when people pronounce it as "Ill-a-NOIZE"... or when people pronounce New Orleans as "New Or-leenz" - irritates the locals... My comments are more a reflection of my pride. I suspect you (and others) are equally proud of where they come from?

As for my equating it to jokes about Utah; Jokes directed that way are uneducated. But the point was, it is offensive to those who are of that belief or otherwise respectful of religion. Same applies to anyone who has pride (belief) in anything that is important to him/her, that's all I meant. You may not think it's equal in "value" (by my comparing) but that's because your values may be different from someone who does...

Lastly, I only used the Utah/Mormon jokes example because it's a fairy common (and ignorant) stereotype used by individuals who have (more than likely) never even visited the state! My "thinking" was, the same fools who make fun of Mormons and Utah are probably the same people who say Ill-A-NOIZE! 8-)

Thanks for being a good sport, I appreciate it!
8-)
Old 11-26-2001, 08:56 AM

Default NYC is an acronym.... 8-)

S.F., L.A., N.Y. all fair... Even "The Big Apple" is appropriate. But I suspect New Yorkers may not like thier fine city called "Yorkie" - It's not even a word, as is "frisco" (in reference to San Francisco) is not a word. Frisco should not be stolen from the Cities to which the name belongs; Frisco, CO - Frisco, CA... are there others? 8-)

Quick Reply: drove from frisco to salt lake