Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

ECU Compatability? I just purchased an 01 Allroad 6 speed and wondered if...

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECU Compatability? I just purchased an 01 Allroad 6 speed and wondered if...

my MTM Chipped ECU out of my 2000 A6 would be compatable?

Is it year and or model specific?

Will it work in a 2000 S4 6 speed?
Old 02-15-2004, 03:02 PM

Won't work; ECUs are year and model specific.
Old 02-15-2004, 07:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Won't work; ECUs are year and model specific.

every one says the same thing, you must match the
ECU part # ! BUT why is that, what goes wrong
if you get an S4 or A6 ECU in an Allroad ?
Is it about the immobilizer? would it work if you
also swap the dash ? for example would a 2000 S4
dash and ECU swap work in a 2001 AR ??? I assume
you have to match the tranny but that's also a
question in itself!

Curious!!!!
F.
Old 02-15-2004, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default You can put various code into an allroad ECU,

And you could potentially run another Audi A6 ECU if it had immobilizer in the allroad. But since the S4 does not have the immobilizer, you wouldn't be able to use one of those ECU's (and the pin guides are different, physically impossible without modifications)
Old 02-16-2004, 03:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default any more info about who, where, when, for how long for running diff codes in allroad?

i ask mike @ awe about running x chip code in my allroad and he said no, also ask giac in case awe was misinformed and they said no also. not trying to bust *****, just trying to get info : )
Old 02-16-2004, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default FWIW I got same story from Induktion (my GIAC dealer)

perhaps it is one of those things that may work, but has not been tested so they won't list it as applicable and don't want to stand behind the experiment?

Sounds like Milpitas is the most experienced with running different code. If I had access to an X chip I would try it, but I'm not going to buy one as an experiment.
Old 02-16-2004, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default It's a support issue, I screw with things all the time.

Ask them why it won't work.

Ask them what exactly is different between the allroad engine code and the S4. Besides a few items like allroad has smaller DP's etc.etc there is really nothing else.

TB's are the same, hell my allroad has my friends 02 S4 TB in it, as we were verifying that his was not screwed up. Manifolds same, turbos same, starter, coolant temp sensor etc.etc same.!!

The only issue is the immobilizer but rumor has it, that piece of the code is not even in the same EEPROM (could be wrong?!). So while tuners/resellers won't do it, having the APR EMCS allows you to upload whatever code you want. GIAC is a special situation as the resellers have to add the various EEPROMS.

Now if one could ask, Jeff Moss or other to send you a S4 coded $5.00 EEPROM with your allroad code and the encryption board (which is what your really paying for), you can easily swap back and forth.

A6 on S4 code, talk to the A6 guys a few of them have been running that way for sometime.

allroad, I am not chipped and the allroad might not be with me for that long so I'm not inclined to "prove" this to you guys. But if you just look at the cars in terms of the engine/tranny etc. What is so different that one could not run S4 code?!

Tory

Immobilizer is the only thing.
Old 02-17-2004, 02:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default couple of comments inside

thanks for reply, 1 thing that stands out that is different depending on model year is maf sensor(bosch is smaller diameter right?,which is why they get larger flow # then hitachi?) so i guess if you know which s4 had an hitachi maf i could use the apr home programmer and install that s4 program in my allroad and see how it runs?

downpipes are identical from turbo thru pre cat and down to main cat, then it has smaller pipe from main cat hooking up to exhaust, about 6 inches of pipe.(awe had my stock downpipes to make jigs) you could easily make that small section larger to go with your exhaust if that was a concern for you

my biggest concern after going thru oct fiasco is if that is what they tried to do w/my allroad is run s4/a6 code and while at certain places rpms or full throttle it ran ok, but at part throttle it ran like crap. of course if i think about it for a while just about all the oct chipped cars run like crap not just allroads : )
Old 02-17-2004, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default H, M, T S4's have Hitachi, and actually 2001 and up are Hitachi (A6 as well)

DP's that is not true, unless you are talking only diameter. The pipes are significantly different, from the turbo especially (it comes out more before it turns down).

O.CT stuff appears to be not running well anywhere, except for a couple of discount pimps, but I have not heard from a viable source of an O.CT car running well.
Old 02-17-2004, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default diameter only, sorry : )

it would be nice to have apr version 5 for the allroad, i guess the 1st one to try would be a6 and go from there. as soon as i get home programmer i'll try it and let you know.

Quick Reply: ECU Compatability? I just purchased an 01 Allroad 6 speed and wondered if...