Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

EGT sensor replacement (driver's side)

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 02:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGT sensor replacement (driver's side)

My EGT sensors are bad, not sure if it is the passenger or driver's side so I need to replace both. Turns out that getting to the passenger-side EGT sensor only took about 30 minutes, but the driver's side is a different story.

I decided to try out the circuitboard replacement tehnique, so I ordered two of them from Poland. I replaced the passenger's side EGT circuit board (a little tricky on the solder points and removing all the goo) It didn't solve my RPM engine issue, so I am guessing that the driver's side is bad. I could leave it connected and spend about two hours leaning over to the center of the engine bay, replacing the circuitboard, but it would be much easier to remove the entire sensor from the car.

Does anyone have clear instructions on how to get to the driver's side EGT sensor?

I did test the probe on the passenger-side with my ohm meter and the probe appear to work great. I would like to perform the same test on the driver's side probe as well.
Old 06-26-2016, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

99% chance the probe is fine. Circuit boards are the weak area. Solution is to just cut the wire going to the probe, do the work on the board, then splice the wires back together. Soldering would be best, but a splice should do.

How did you determine you have a EGT problem? A scan would tell you bad sensor and which one. Bad EGT's present as a low boost and rich fuel mixture problem.

Last edited by 5v/cyl; 06-26-2016 at 06:47 PM.
Old 06-28-2016, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Great advice offered by the poster above. This is the tried and true method of many forum members. If you go through the trouble of doing the circuit board, and the code comes back, you might not have the connections soldered good. I have used the original circuit board on mine and just soldered the connections better and fixed the code.

To get to the sensor, I took my Air pump out, and the coolant resevoir.

I used a crows foot socket, with a swivel and extension, and an impact gun to break it loose, because I didnt have a lot of room to work some torque on a wrench.

I also highly doubt the probe is bad.

Hope this helps, Connor
Old 06-28-2016, 11:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

That is good advice and I will try it this weekend. I did attempt to re-solder the passenger's side circuit-board as one of the connections was loose and the board looked like new. It didn't help, so I ended up replacing the circuit board and that didn't help either. I am now convinced that it is the driver's side sensor which is bad.
Old 08-12-2016, 10:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am in the process of doing the circuit board replacement on the egt sensor. when I open up the passenger side it does not look like the circuit boards I see in all the posts... ???
Old 08-12-2016, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well post a pic of what you have
Old 08-12-2016, 05:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Old 08-12-2016, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ya those are the same ones I have in my car that I repaired myself with much success. Did you have any luck fixing them?
Old 08-13-2016, 12:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just put the Poland boards in - didn't feel like going thru all that cleaning just to find out it didn't work fixing the old ones. I found that brake cleaner and bug and tar remover with a toothbrush helped speed clean up. Final clean up with maf cleaner. Did everything with them still in the car. Haven't driven yet - but I didn't get the code back yet...
Old 08-21-2016, 11:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

no svc eng light yet - 756mi later- have to put it on vagcom to see if there is a code sitting there...

Quick Reply: EGT sensor replacement (driver's side)