Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Electrical gremlins

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2004, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical gremlins

Yesterday morning I opened the rear hatch to get some things out, and noticed the trunk light that usually comes on did not. Didn't think much of it, figured my son got back there again and had been messing with the switch. Fast forward to last night when I finally had time to check the switch on that light, I toggled it, and suddenly lost all interior lights. Not just the overheads, but map lights, floor lights, door lights, anything that lights and is inside the car. Started car.

Car starts fine, but the dash display now shows both rear doors open as well as the front passenger door. I go around, check all the doors, and of course they're shut fine. Turn the car off, try again. Dash still show 3 doors open.

History. I have noticed lately often when I start the car the little gas pump icon will be on, or the gas guage stays on "E", even if I've just filled up the tank. After a minute or two of driving, the needle will finally register how much gas is in the tank, or the gas pump icon will go away. I've never really worried about either, because I usually have a good idea of when I need to fill up, based on miles traveled on the tank. These two problems may be related, or maybe not, but I think it is probably more than just coincidence.

More history. About 4-5 months ago, I had to have a body shop (dealer owned) replace my roof because of a dent from an accident by some hotel valets. They had to remove the head liner for this job. Maybe some wires were not reconnected properly?

It was late last night when this all happened, so I didn't have time to check the fuses, and didn't drive to the office today, so do not know if the lights/open door issues survived the night.

Anybody experience something similar?
Old 11-05-2004, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Electrical gremlins

I would check the door switches and make sure they are ok. In my older Audi's they would fail with some regularity. Easy to test and replace. I always had 2 or 3 spares in the garage.

I had to put a package in my car and checked to see if the allroad used the same old door swithces. No and I couldn't see any visable door swiches. It was dark in my work garage.

I would try to find out where the door switches are and test them first. If they are ok I would check the return point and make sure it was ok. You will need a wiring diag of the circuit..

FYI looks like the door switches are integrated into the door latch mechanism. Tough to check now as it looks like you need to take the door panel off to get to the swithces.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Electrical gremlins

I lost my CPU about a month after my roof was replaced (tree fell on it). I don't think body shops disconnect the battery when doing the work and end up doing damage to the main controller/CPU (lots of wiring/electronics in the roof area, especially in front). Mine was still under warranty when it happen so I got the dealer to replace the "brains." All works fine now.
Old 11-05-2004, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Interesting...

yesterday my temperature guage stayed on "C" for about a half an hour. Meanwhile, the oil temperature guage was operating fine. It finally read a normal reading after a half hour. Wierd.
Old 11-05-2004, 02:26 PM
jav
AudiWorld Member

Default I know exactly what's wrong!!

It's the wheels. They'll cause this kind of thing every time. Send them to me and I'll send you my stock wheels and the symptoms will go away. Or, at least your wheels will.

We had a radio flake out (replaced), a temp gauge read well off the face of the gauge (replaced whole cluster and failed to reprogram it), and a rear heated seat thermostat go wonky. That's been it for electrical.

Sounds to me like you may have popped something when you toggled the switch. If they didn't hook things up right, they could have used a wire as ground that's actually energized when the car lights are on. You switched the toggle for the lamp, the former ground is not hot, and some things may well have gotten cooked. Don't ask me how I know how this can happen, but it can happen.
Old 11-05-2004, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It stands to reason...

That it is related to the roof repair. When you go to the dealer remind them IN WRITTING that they did this repair and they can track it down.
Yes.. we do have to remind the dealer of their own work at times.
Old 11-06-2004, 03:17 PM

Default New fuse fixed it temporarily

New 10w fuse in slot 14 and the lights came back on. Time to get a few more backup fuses and see if toggling the trunk light switch fries everything once again. Then off to the dealer if that's the culprit.

Don't tempt me jav...big house renovation project coming up and the extra cash those wheels could fetch may come in handy. When I put my stockers w/M3's back on for winter, selling them may become an option.