Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Engine hunting with glowplug lamp flashing.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine hunting with glowplug lamp flashing.

Yesterday I had used the AR as usual and it was driving nicely as usual but when I started it again abit later the engine started hunting quite badly and the glowplug lamp on the dash stared flashing. I tuned her off, waited a few moments and started it again, same thing.

Got the Ross-Tec connected up and the only fault that came up was '0513 engine speed detector G28 no signal'. I cleared the fault code and started up and to my surprise she ran perfectly. Today the AR ran fine and I completed an arduous trip with a loaded trailer on, about 25 miles, without any problems. As I got home and pulled into my yard she started hunting really badly again. I put the Ross-Tec on and found the the same 0513 G28 on the fault log. I cleared the log, started up and she was running fine again!

I cant really fathom whats going on here so perhaps someone on here may be able to throw some light on this problem, also does anyone know where abouts the 'engine speed sender G28' is situated?

My AR is year 2000 2.5 diesel with an AKE engine.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
Old 05-30-2014, 11:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default G28

<<<@!1!@>>>

G28 Speed ​​sensor is located at the left Front of the tip transmission and it has a Plag (plug) with three connections (Electrical interconnection). Check the connections in the Plag, and clean them with a spray Contacts.

G-28 VAG PN. 078906433A

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Crank-Crankshaft-Position-Sensor-Audi-A4-A6-Quattro-VW-Passat-078906433A-/231025747260?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35ca35253c&vxp=mtr
Attached Images    

Last edited by amiram; 06-01-2014 at 11:54 PM.
Old 05-31-2014, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by paulouk
Yesterday I had used the AR as usual and it was driving nicely as usual but when I started it again abit later the engine started hunting quite badly and the glowplug lamp on the dash stared flashing. I tuned her off, waited a few moments and started it again, same thing.

Got the Ross-Tec connected up and the only fault that came up was '0513 engine speed detector G28 no signal'. I cleared the fault code and started up and to my surprise she ran perfectly. Today the AR ran fine and I completed an arduous trip with a loaded trailer on, about 25 miles, without any problems. As I got home and pulled into my yard she started hunting really badly again. I put the Ross-Tec on and found the the same 0513 G28 on the fault log. I cleared the log, started up and she was running fine again!

I cant really fathom whats going on here so perhaps someone on here may be able to throw some light on this problem, also does anyone know where abouts the 'engine speed sender G28' is situated?

My AR is year 2000 2.5 diesel with an AKE engine.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
I don't think "hunting" is quite the right word....more likely the fuel pump is shutting off.

If G28 (engine speed sensor) loses it's signal, the ECM shuts off the fuel pump relay...it thinks the engine has stopped.

P.S. You can also stop looking for a "Plag" to clean...cars in English speaking countries have "plugs" (or connections) in their electrical systems. I doubt that cleaning the carpet would help much >>

https://translate.google.com/

Plag = "carpet" in Hmong
Old 05-31-2014, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default sensor speed

Originally Posted by silverd2
I don't think "hunting" is quite the right word....more likely the fuel pump is shutting off.

If G28 (engine speed sensor) loses it's signal, the ECM shuts off the fuel pump relay...it thinks the engine has stopped.

P.S. You can also stop looking for a "Plag" to clean...cars in English speaking countries have "plugs" (or connections) in their electrical systems. I doubt that cleaning the carpet would help much >>

https://translate.google.com/

Plag = "carpet" in Hmong
in TDI engine the ECU Receives speed and TDC signals especially from the G80 sensor . Regarding my English, I use Google Translate, sorry for the mistakes.
By the way I deal in three allroads TDI of friends in my neighborhood, most of the failures are caused by bad "PLUGS" Contacts

Last edited by amiram; 05-31-2014 at 08:54 AM.
Old 06-01-2014, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by amiram
in TDI engine the ECU Receives speed and TDC signals especially from the G80 sensor
Is there a translated echo in here?

ECM (Engine Control Module) = ECU (engine control unit)

G28 (engine speed sensor) reads rpm (= engine speed) and confirmation that engine is turning, with a hall sensor detecting the TDC mark/notch (actually well before TDC) on the flex plate or flywheel (depending on manual or auto trans). The ECM then connects electrical ground to the fuel pump relay...if there is no signal from G28, the ECM cuts ground to the fuel pump relay.

The same system is used on all VW/Audi petrol and diesel engines.

This I learned from Bentley and personal experience...can't speak for more inferior sources, such as Elsawin >>>

- -"Elsawin" : from the English phrase "Elsie wind"...Elsa- (Elsie the TV cow) -win (wind), meaning "cow farts" - -

Old 06-01-2014, 01:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Many thanks 'amiram' and 'silverd2' for your replies with the helpful info and pics.

Re 'hunting', maybe not strictly 'hunting, but the effect I experience is very similar as the engine still stays running although rough and surging until I turn it off on the key.

I will examine and clean the 'connections' (diplomatic, thats me) first as that is easy to do and then posiballly change the whole sensor if need be later.

'silverd2' think you were a bit harsh with 'amiram' over 'plag'. I guessed what he meant and in fact thought it was just a typo. Lets keep it friendly. Wish my Hebrew and Arabic was half as good as his English.
Old 06-01-2014, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

'silverd2' think you were a bit harsh with 'amiram' over 'plag'. I guessed what he meant and in fact thought it was just a typo. Lets keep it friendly. Wish my Hebrew and Arabic was half as good as his English.
No worries....we're bestest of internet buddies ...he LOVES it.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default sensor speed

Many thanks 'amiram' and 'silverd2' for your replies with the helpful info and pics.

Re 'hunting', maybe not strictly 'hunting, but the effect I experience is very similar as the engine still stays running although rough and surging until I turn it off on the key.

I will examine and clean the 'connections' (diplomatic, thats me) first as that is easy to do and then posiballly change the whole sensor if need be later.

Thanks 'paulouk' for the support The last time I disassemble the speed sensor I noticed that the metal chips were stuck to the head of the sensor (magnet). It can disrupt the operation of the sensor.
Connection with my English, it comes from Google Translate., And I speak Hebrew.

Last edited by amiram; 06-02-2014 at 07:32 AM.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Have looked at the plug and socket and is bright and shiney just as new so dont thing there is a problem with that. Will have to change the whole sensor, is this accessable from underneath, do I need to remove ant 'major' bit to get at it??
Old 06-03-2014, 02:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default G28

Have looked at the plug and socket and is bright and shiney just as new so dont thing there is a problem with that. Will have to change the whole sensor, is this accessable from underneath, do I need to remove ant 'major' bit to get at it??
it is accessable from underneath. Disassemble the lower covers only

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine hunting with glowplug lamp flashing.