Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Air suspension level issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air suspension level issues

Hi all,

I've had multiple leaking bags over the past couple years. I just clicked over 200k miles this week. Bittersweet.

I just replaced the left rear air spring with a used Arnott, but noticed that the o-ring had a little pinch in it when I did it. They sent me replacement o-rings free of charge, but I haven't had a chance to put them in yet.

The thing is, when I park the car for extended periods, I disable the suspension system to avoid burning out the pump. When I start the car in these extreme cold weather conditions, the system will re-inflate. However, the car seems to slope over to one side or the other and the suspension light will blink and then eventually go solid and disable itself. I have to restart the car to get it to wake up and try again. A few times, I've been late, so I just had to drive with it leaning fairly sharply over to one side. i.e. it sometimes seems like one side is on level 1 and the other is on level 3 or 4. It must look ridiculous to other people on the road.

Is this likely the Level Control Module? Would the LCM be effected by the extreme cold? It's been single and double digits below zero, Fahrenheit the past few days straights with no reprieve from the cold for the car.

I'm assuming that either the o-ring is leaking or I have another leaking bag. I have one OEM bag left in the front left corner, I think. Or maybe one of my replacement Arnott's is leaking. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-23-2014, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

The LCM could possibly be on its way out due to cold/wet climate conditions or neglect to replace the bags. I would for sure swap out the O-ring with the new Arnott replacement. Plus the air bags are never as good as OEM (fit & finish). Anyway I would start with the cheap/free O ring replacement before purchasing the CM. Good luck!
Old 01-24-2014, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DOALLAR
The LCM could possibly be on its way out due to cold/wet climate conditions or neglect to replace the bags. I would for sure swap out the O-ring with the new Arnott replacement. Plus the air bags are never as good as OEM (fit & finish). Anyway I would start with the cheap/free O ring replacement before purchasing the CM. Good luck!
how much is a new LCM? Where's the best place to get one? Is there a write-up for how to install it?

Thanks!
Old 01-27-2014, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had similar issues. It turned out that there was a broken wire in one of the connectors for the rear wheels under the back seat. In my case the passenger rear wheel was high and the driver front was low.
Audi folds the wires 180 degrees under the connector and some wires can brake at the bend. This copper break was not visible gut was detected by "jiggling". I cut some connector pairs out of a dead allroad and did electrical tests using them. It's a pain to diagnose the signal wire as it is it has pulse type signal, not DC like the power and ground. That cured my problem.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by djtnut
how much is a new LCM? Where's the best place to get one? Is there a write-up for how to install it?

Thanks!
New level control modules are pretty pricey and ModuleMaster says they know of nobody who refurbishes them. Replacement:

http://forums.quattroworld.com/allro...s/148890.phtml