Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

First 6 weeks with 2.7Tip '04 allroad...

Old 02-06-2004, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First 6 weeks with 2.7Tip '04 allroad...

With 1918 miles on the odometer (sorry RedSox fans), I figured I'd scribe some stats and comments.

1,918 miles, 68+ hours.

Avg 17.9MPG, 28mph, approx 70% highway, Mobil/Exxon 93 octane.

minor issues:
o Sqeaky right rear brake, but stops fine.

o little oil consumption (1/4 of a quart of 0W30 Mobil1 to top off.)

o boggy in 1st gear when very cold (mornings). Needs lots of throttle compared to when warm. I'm guesing the torque converter uses a multiplier vane for low speed starts that doesn't work too well if the ATF is cold.

Haven't see the other frequent problems you fine folks have warned about:

no wobble at 50,60,70,80,90 (or...mum's the word..100mph).

power steering fluid level is fine. no ride height sensor or air shock leak issues. no Check Engine light.

General impressions and comments:

The Tiptronic automatic transmission/engine control thinks much too hard and long before responding to calls for acceleration in some of the oddest times. It takes some getting used to. I've learned to stomp the gas half a second before I really need the acceleration. It's not really turbo lag that I'm feeling, but rather a delay in deciding whether to down-shift or pour it on in the present gear, and then the power comes on It's not consistent, as some times I am surprised by immediate tourqe.

Compared to other automatics I've driven over the years with NA'd or SC'd engines, it's a performance drawback that Audi should fix. I haven't driven their 6-speed standard so can't compare on that basis.

Highway on-ramps are fun. I was initially skeptical about whether 250BHP was enough to move 4K pounds, in comparison to our other car (490BHP per 5K pounds). I have a healthier respect for turbos now. Just give it that 1/2 second of advanced notice with the gas pedal.

I don't notice too much body lean, but I expect a stiffer sway bar would help.

The stock tires are the pirellis on 17's. I don't feel the need for snows. And I think the all seasons are adequate on dry pavement (for now) compared to performance tires on my other car. So far so good in what limited snow/slush we've had since Christmas.

The overall experience has been great. Very good power and handling, nice interior work (except the goof on cup holders...)

Cup holders were definitely an afterthought in this car. Splashed some coffee into the front middle air vent. So I sacrifice the arm rest pad to use the one underneath instead; stupid.
Old 02-07-2004, 04:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Audi Tips have slow reaction...

If you try, you will feel the "Kickdown switch"

Engine off...almost floor the pedle, then press a bit more and you will feel the switch...this guranteees instant kickdown.. (my wife's A4 2.8) When used with active knowlege...yours... the performance and reaction times of the trans speed up.

You can also get the GIAC TIP Chip...its undetectable and goes in the TIP computer under the front passengers carpet...
Have fun with the car...
Old 02-07-2004, 04:54 AM
HPH
AudiWorld Super User

Default They do indeed, but...

...when you get used to the timing, you can use it to good effect. I've decided against a Tip chip for just this reason.
Old 02-07-2004, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: First 6 weeks with 2.7Tip '04 allroad...

Yeah, the oil loss seems to be normal during engine break in. Will stop about 5K miles or so.

I think the wobble was on the 2001 (and maybe the 2002s). Someone on the boards mentioned that it had something to do with the TIP ecu. With an '04 I would not expect you to experience this.

As for the stock wheels. If you have the tires with the directional tread pattern (can't remember if they are the Pirelli's or not), expect them to have a really short life. Mine only lasted about 12K miles.

I can't beleive they did away with the cup holders in the '04s. The ones that are in my '03 work great!

Been toying with the idea of a tip chip. Its supposed to reduce the shift lag from 1.2 secs to 0.2 secs. According to GIAC the shifts are still very smooth and are hardly noticible when driving easy. But when driving a littler harder you can really feel it the difference. I am sure the difference in TIP mode is big too!

Keep enjoying the AR!

Regards,
Gavin